Tub Removal

Old 08-13-02, 10:05 AM
airbison
Visiting Guest
Tub Removal

I have water damage in my bathroom. I need to remove my tub to do the repairs. Is there a way I can install some sort of valve on the water lines to the tub so I don't have to have the whole water system to the house shut off to complete my repairs? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Rob.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-02, 10:36 AM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking Why??

Just curious why you need to shut the water to remove a tub??
The only thing that needs to be removed is a drain.
If the leak is in the water lines, why do you have to remove your tub?? Please reply with more info.

Old 08-13-02, 01:10 PM
airbison
Visiting Guest
I have water damage in my shower, which is separate from the tub. The shower is enclosed, but there is a mortar bed which surrounds the tub and continues into the shower stall to form a shelf and a seat in the shower. The water damage is also present in the mortar bed which is on one side of the tub. I need to figure out a way to shut off the water because I have to remove the tub to repair the damage to the mortar bed which surrounds the tub and is also part of the shower stall. I hope this makes sense. I just need to know if I can install some sort of valve on the water lines to the tub so when I remove it I don't have to shut the water off to the whole house.

Thank you, Rob.

Old 08-13-02, 03:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Each bathroom should have its own shut-off valves. If not, they are generally pretty easy to install. You could also install a shut-off for the shower/tub, but I haven't seen a lot of them.

Old 08-14-02, 06:46 AM
masterjoe
Visiting Guest
Talking Not in CA

Shutoff valve for a whole bathroom??
I haven't seen a thing like that here in CA. I guess it's being used somewhere else. Anyways, I'm puzzled how that valve is installed since tub/shower plumbing is usually concealed inside the wall. Oh well....U learn something new everyday, I guess.

Remove the tub/shower enclosure without shutting off water.
You don't have to shut it off until you start disconnecting hot/cold inlets to your diverter valve.
Damage has been done and shutting water off at this minute isn't gonna improve things at all.

If you still insist installing some kind of valve, I'll say shut the main off, remove hot & cold inlets to the diverter valve and cap the pipes(screw on cap for galvanized/solder-on cap for Cu pipes)
. I still think this is very unnecessary step.