Hot Water Faucets

Old 08-13-02, 12:30 PM
thur
Visiting Guest
Hot Water Faucets

I notice that a hard brownish ring has appeared on my porcelain sink around the hot water faucet. The faucet was installed about 6 months ago. I'd be grateful for suggestions as to what this could be and how I should deal with it.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-02, 12:46 PM
Cool

This is caused by rust and mineral build-up in the water heater tank.
You can alleviate the problem by regularly flushing the tank.
Attach a water hose to the drain spigot on the bottom of the tank, and run it to a floor drain, a driveway or the street (hot water can kill grass and plants), and just let it run until it runs clear.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 08-13-02, 01:46 PM
thur
Visiting Guest
Thanks for replying so promptly. Frankly I can't see myself emptying the hotwater tank by myself. Also, in the event that I do empty it, how does the tank get refilled with water? But anyway I appreciate your help. thur

Old 08-13-02, 02:01 PM
Cool

You will be flushing the tank out, not emptying it.
All that you're doing is simply attaching a water hose to the drain spigot, and opening the spigot (just exactly like an outdoor hose spigot).
The normal cold water supply to the water heater will flush out the build-up, and keep the tank full.
When the water runs clear, just close the drain spigot, and remove the hose. The water heater will be full, and will just keep doing it's thing keeping water hot, but without the sediment coming out of your faucet.
Easy.
Good Luck!
Mike