Toilet supply tube rusted shut to tank

Old 08-14-02, 03:45 PM
Chick40
Visiting Guest
Angry Toilet supply tube rusted shut to tank

The water supply tube connection is rusted shut to the tank & will not loosen. I've tried spraying with WD40 -- no luck. What else can I use to try to loosen?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-02, 04:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

What are you trying to loosen it with?
Channel-locks? Pipe wrench?
A pipe wrench should turn it off "clockwise "(actually counter-clockwise, but it's upside down).
Mike

Old 08-15-02, 02:35 PM
Chick40
Visiting Guest
I was using an adjustable wrench. I thought I just didn't have enough power, so I had my 300 lb. fiance try also -- it wouldn't budge! Any type of spray or goop that can soak in betwen the threads to dissolve the buildup?

Old 08-15-02, 02:45 PM
Chick40
Visiting Guest
I may not have properly described my situation initially...

I can easily shut off the water supply @ the angle stop. It's the pipe/tube connection to the underside of the tank that will not loosen.

I tried holding the neck of the flush valve with pliers (since it just spins around while I'm trying to use the wrench on the water supply tube connection below.) The flush valve neck is almost stripped away from trying to clamp down w/ the pliers!

Old 08-15-02, 03:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

When all else fails, hacksaw it off, and replace the fill valve with a Fluidmaster 400A float-cup type (about $6-$7 bucks), and the tube from the stop to the tank with a flex connector made for toilets.
Just follow the directions that come with the 400A, and the flex connector will match right up with the stop and 400A without any special fittings (built-in rubber seals). Easy.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 08-15-02, 03:49 PM
Chick40
Visiting Guest
Mike, Thanks sooo much for your speedy reply. Hacksaw, here I come! (This will help me with my stress level also!)

Old 08-15-02, 05:09 PM
Bill Locke
Visiting Guest
Hacksaw...

Be VERY careful when you work around this problem that you don't crack the tank! A very small crack will drive you crazy trying to find the leak that will utimately result!

Old 08-16-02, 05:56 AM
Chick40
Visiting Guest
Hacksaw Thanks

Thanks, Bill. I will definitely take my time & carefully approach this one!.....