Noisy on the Refill (toilet)

Old 08-15-02, 06:57 AM
Stormygirl34
Visiting Guest
Noisy on the Refill (toilet)

I was hoping someone could help me. I have a small problem with my toilet. When we flush it you can hear it running loud in the pipes. Is there anything that can be done to make the noise a bit quieter. It didnt do this when we first bought our house but now its quite annoying. Anyone please

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-02, 07:24 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Replace the toilet tank water refill valve with a Fluidmaster 400A float-cup type (about $6-$7 bucks).
Just follow the directions that come with it. Easy.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 08-16-02, 10:47 PM
I just did this today, took about 15 mins and works great. I saw this solution posted a few weeks ago, and my brand new toilet positively shrieked when filling. I put a fluidmaster 400 in the tank and it fills faster and quieter.

Old 08-17-02, 01:50 PM
Stormygirl34
Visiting Guest
Thanks with one more ???

Where is the toilet tank refill valve located? Thank you so much for all of your help. It is greatly appreciated. Its good to have a place to go to ask the questions. Thanks again.
Stormy

Old 08-18-02, 07:45 PM
There are two "post" like things coming up from your toilet tank floor. The one closest to the flapper valve ( the flap that gets lifted when you flush the toilet) is a fill "tube" there is a hose that goes into the fill tube from the fill "valve". The fill valve has the float attached to it, either on an arm or around it like a collar.

To replace your fill valve you want to turn the water off at the supply valve under the toilet. Then flush the toilet. After the tank empties it should not refill since you turned the water off. There will be some water left in the bottom of the tank. Sponge this out or it will spill onto the floor when you remove the valve. Once the tank is sponged out remove the water supply line from under the toilet tank. Then there is a nut right against the bottom of the tank, remove that nut. Since the nut is attached to the fill valve post, you might need to hold the fill valve in the tank to keep it from spinning. Once the nut is off the fill valve will lift straight out of the tank. To install a new valve, follow the instructions which are essentially these in reverse, but include a few things about assembling/adjusting the new valve.

Good Luck!