Irrigation system

Old 08-17-02, 02:29 PM
Bill Locke
Visiting Guest
Irrigation system

I have an in ground solinoid operated valve that is sticking on intermittently. The owners manual says to clean the valve. I see two options for doing this but thought I would check before I broke something. The electric solinoid is on top of the valve, and I believe it will unscrew, but it is plastic. The valve itself has 4 bolts in the top of it that would appear to let you take the whole thing out of the assembly (solinoid and all) If anyone has any prior experience with these, I would appreciate your insight.

Old 08-17-02, 06:10 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Irrigation system

Hi Bill,
Most irigation valves have a solenoid that is easily removed and replaced by unthreading it on and off.
The 4 bolts in the valve should let it come apart. Inside you will find a diaphragm, a spring, and, in some cases, a small needle looking thing. Be sure you keep track of the parts and how it goes back together. Some valves have what is called a "jar top" that allows it to come apart.
Once you're in the valve, you'll see why the manufacturer suggests you take it apart if it stays on. The diaphragm fits very closely in the valve, and even a small particle of dirt will keep the diaphragm from seating. If it doesn't seat, the valve will remain open.
Check the diaphragm for tears and rough edges. If the valve is a brand name valve, there are usually repair kits available.
Be sure to turn the water off before you work on the valve.
Best regards,
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com

Old 08-17-02, 07:11 PM
Bill Locke
Visiting Guest
Valve

Thanks Ron! (I really liked the advice about turning off the water pressure first, but you forgot to warn me about the helper hitting the zone next to the valve box when I was checking for the right valve to examine lol)

Old 08-18-02, 06:56 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Irrigation system

Those helpers will do that every time, and it's ALWAYS the zone where you're standing....LOL
Ron

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: