Plumbing

Old 08-18-02, 10:16 PM
Rick822
Visiting Guest
Plumbing

Hot water runs from every "tap" except one. In one bathroom tub, there is a "spigot" to fill the tub and a shower head. One can draw hot water into the tub via the spigot but when the shower head is turned on, the water runs ice cold. I would have thought that the hot water for both would come through the same pipes.

The control is of the single "knob" type - Delta. The range - degrees the knob may be turned - has been checked and is the same as that in the other shower with the same type of control. Both turn counterclockwise about 120 degrees. Thus, I believe the problem is not that the control is "stuck".

Ideas as to what is causing the problem and how to correct?

Old 08-19-02, 01:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

What type of diverter do you have?
Tub spout diverter? Or built-in?

Old 08-19-02, 01:33 PM
Rick822
Visiting Guest
Plumbing ... diverter??

I have no idea what a diverter is. I moved in about 4 wks ago and this is the first time someone tried to use this shower. My assumption is that, at the time the builder installed the plumbing, he/she must have used something of that era - 1994.

How would one find out the type of diverter as I assume it would not be easily accessible?

Old 08-20-02, 02:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

These are tub spouts with shower diverters on them (diverter pulls up to divert the water flow from tub to showerhead):

Diverter Tub Spouts
OR, there could be a diverter valve or button on the wall or faucet, which will switch the faucet flow from the tub to the showerhead.
All are easily accessible from the tub/shower side.
A Delta is a ball-type faucet. You can do a search (above) on Delta faucets for general how-to repair info.
This link will take you to the Delta Customer Service site, so that you can see what you're dealing with:
http://www.deltafaucet.com/custserv/faucet_repair.html
Also, some Delta faucets have an adjustable anti-scald pressure balance valve (which I think may be what you have that is causing your problem). Here's how to adjust it, if you do: http://www.deltafaucet.com/custserv/faq_hot.html
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 08-20-02, 02:36 PM
Rick822
Visiting Guest
OK . THAT kind of diverter ..... In fact, there is none ... water will run from both the tub AND the shower simultaneously if one wanted. Still hot from the tub and none from the shower.

Any other ideas?

Thanks Mike.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: