My hot water is only lasting for a little...

Old 08-19-02, 09:36 PM
eggmay15
Visiting Guest
My hot water is only lasting for a little...

My hot water is only lasting for a short while. I have a toilet that runs a little more than it should. Is this the problem or is it something bigger. It also takes longer than usual to heat up and then only for a short while.
Thanks!

Old 08-19-02, 10:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
One of the elements may have burned out, I don't recall the exact procedure for testing them. They are relatively cheap though, so if you replace one, you should replace them all at the same time.

Old 08-20-02, 01:59 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Your water heater problem has nothing to do with your toilet, which is connected to a cold water supply line only.
TOILET: Replace the flapper in the toilet. Clean the flapper seat with steel wool or SOS pad, and shorten the chain on the new flapper to where it just allows it to seal fully.
WATER HEATER: Do a search on "water heaters" (above). This could be caused by a number of problems, but most likely a bad element, as Pendragon said.
To rough test an element, turn OFF the power (circuit breaker) to the heater, disconnect the two wires on both elements, and test the screws with an ohm meter. If no continuity, drain the heater, and replace the elements.
Good luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: