Problems with Weil-McLain steam boiler (model #EG 35-PI)

Old 08-20-02, 08:54 AM
eking
Visiting Guest
Problems with Weil-McLain steam boiler (model #EG 35-PI)

My husband and I live in a townhouse that is heated by a Weil-McLain steam boiler (model #EG 35-PI). Our problem is that we do not know if the boiler has a leak/is damaged and would appreciate your guidance.

For the last two-spring/summer periods when the boiler no longer fires, we have sporadically found puddles of water on the floor beneath the boiler. During the winter season, when the boiler fires, no water puddles are noticeable.

The first spring/summer period we noticed this, I thought it was condensation from the boiler’s water tank or rain coming down the chimney. However, at the end of this winter season my husband noticed the water tank was low and filled the water tank. Each time, it seemed that after he filled the tank water puddles appeared more frequently (than compared to when he did not fill the tank) and that the water level gauge showed the water level in the tank declined.

On the one hand, it would seem that if there is a leak, water would leak during all seasons, on the other hand, the fact that the water level declined after the tank was filled seems to indicate there is a leak.

Please let me know how to determine what the problem is with the boiler

Thank you.
EKing

Old 08-20-02, 05:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A leak doesn't have to be on the bottom but could be on the side and filling raises the level back up above the leak. In heating season, water dribbling down the side would evaporate.
Does the boiler have an insulated outer shell that you could remove?

Old 08-21-02, 10:05 PM
Boilerdude420
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb

It would be a good idea to preforme an "Integrity test" This will show the leak if there is one, and it sounds like thats what it is.
Is a very easy test.
You have to manually feed water to the boiler, using the hand feed valve on the auto feeder. If no auto feeder is present then there's only one valve. It depend on the type of auto fdr. Most of them have a button to manually add water to the boiler.
Now you must keep your eyes on the glass gauge, as soon the water gets to the top of the glass keep it feeding for just a little longer. ( count to 20/30) thats what I do. lol... Remember that if you over do it the radiator vents will start to leak. Thats not what we want. Now get a nice brite lite and look all around for that leak, remove the front cover, then remove the heat shild located on top of the burners. (if gas burner) oil burner it should have a small lid that slides side to side open it and shine the lite inside
the chamber. Ok back to gas, the same thing look inside the burners for any sings of water,rust etc.
Hopefully is just a return pipe leak, is cheaper to repair.
Must boiler once they leak it can be repair, but is not a permanent fix. Most of the time needs to be change.
Ok good luck. I hope this can help...

Peace... BoilerDude420

Old 08-22-02, 06:42 AM
eking
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks for your help. I will give it a try to see what happens.
Eking

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: