Leaking shower stall

Old 08-21-02, 07:48 AM
blake616
Visiting Guest
Question Leaking shower stall

I have a weird problem with my shower stall. It leaks only when I take a shower, not when my wife showers. It is a one piece fiberglass stall put in my the builder 5 years ago. My first thought was that it was leaking around the drain - not so. I check this morning and it appears to be leaking through the floor directly below the valve. A fair amount of water leaks through the floor when I shower. The faucet is a single handle delta. Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Old 08-21-02, 09:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

The weight of whoever is standing in the shower could cause it to leak, but not leak when no one or someone lighter is in it.
Typically, this might mean that plumber's putty or other seal under the drain lip needs to be replaced.
Is the shower stall somehow pulling down on the Delta faucet when you're in it? If that seems to be the case, you might replace the o-rings around the barrel of the faucet body.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 08-22-02, 05:56 AM
blake616
Visiting Guest
The drain was resealed about 2 years ago because of a leaking problem. I have checked this and it's not leaking. The leak is directly under the control valve. I did remove the round plate around the faucet last night and noticed a foam gasket on the inside of the plate. It appears to still be intact. I reinstalled the plate and sealed around the outside of it with some clear silicone. I didn't shower in it this morning, just to give the silicone time to dry. If is still leaks tommorrow, I will have to take the faucet apart. I never thought about replacing anything in the faucet itself. Should I somehow put something under the shower to keep the stall from flexing when I shower??? I can get to a portion of the underside of the shower where the drain exits throught the floor. Any ideas what I could use?? I really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Old 08-22-02, 07:45 AM
Cool

You might can handpack mortar under the shower base, if you can get to it, to add stability.
You can do a search in here (above) about Delta faucets for illustrated how-to, or just come back on this same thread and ask. We'll be glad to help you.
Mike

Old 08-22-02, 09:02 AM
blake616
Visiting Guest
I am hesitant to pack motar under the stall, just because of how messy and permanent it is, but it's surely an option. I was thinking of something like hard rubber or foam in a sheet-type form?? Any ideas??

I have an email into delta customer service regarding the parts list and diagram for this faucet, as the contractor left me no information at all on this faucet. I didn't see anything in the forum regarding this.....can you advise or provide a link??

Old 08-22-02, 09:57 AM
Cool

Here's Delta Customer Service, and you should find what you need to know:
http://www.deltafaucet.com/custserv/faucet_repair.html
Good luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: