root removal without roto-rooting?

Old 08-30-02, 09:51 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
root removal without roto-rooting?

Is there any possible way to remove/reduce roots in the drain out to the sewer? I just found out that it can't be roto-rooted because the house we just bought has an oldfasioned catch in the sewer line rather than a cleanout. Eventually I will have the catch replaced with a cleanout and can do it then, but I've already plopped down $270 in plumber bills recently and (as you 1st time home owners know) money is beyond tight (at least until I can sue my former landlord for the $3000 he owes me, but that's another story and who knows how long it'll take).

Does enzyme work on tree roots? Perhaps some sort of solution (muratic acid perhaps) that will disolve/reduce roots without destroying the pipes?

I'll try virtually anything, but cost is the BIG key. Even if it'll buy me a couple of months to get some cash together for the cleanout.

Thanks.

Old 08-30-02, 11:34 AM
T
ok, so I found...

Ok,

so I found a product that contains "Dichlobenil" that is a foaming root killer that by product description would seem to be the best solution for my root problem (it's not toxic, it fills the pipe to reach all the roots, and it promotes decomposition of the dead root parts). Has anyone used this chemical that can give me some feedback I think it's most common product is RootX, but I've found it under other brand names as well. I just don't want to make a mistake if this stuff is not as good as it seems.

Thanks!

Old 08-30-02, 04:19 PM
Rootx is a product that does it's job. Enyzimes really doesn't work too good on tree roots but will work great on the stuff the tree roots snag.
The best solution is a rotor rooter to rid the main of roots and then treatment for not growing back. You don't have this option right now so we will go with plan B.
Buy some copper sulphate at any large hardware or plumbing supply store. This chemical will dehydrate the roots and they will decay on their own. Rock salt will do the same thing, but this is used more as an ongoing maintenance program after mechanically removing the roots.

With luck and watching what you put down the drain, you may not have a mainline clog that causes plumbing bills coming before you are ready.

Have you thought of putting in a cleanout yourself. Not a big deal unless the drain is over 5 feet deep.

Any more questions, ask in this thread and you'll get some answers.

Old 08-31-02, 01:05 PM
T
so then...

so then if you were to pick a product to deal with roots would you pick one like RootX (or another with that Di-whateveritis) or would you use Copper Sulfate? I understand copper sulfate is very effective on what it contacts, but because it is flushed down as a liquid solution it will most likely not reach all of the roots. It also seems to be (from what I read) somewhat hazardous, not overtly so, but with a young child in the house, it's something to consider. Where as products like RootX seem to be less hazardous and supposedly fill the whole pipe since it forms a foam. I'd also follow up with an enzyme to work on the non-root obstructions.

As far as replacing the catch myself, it would seem unlikely. It appears to be under the basement floor (concrete) right near the corner of the foundation. That seems like a daunting task, particularly considering my very limited collection of tools.

I appreciate any feedback you can give me.

Thanks!

Old 08-31-02, 05:42 PM
I'd use both a rootx product (really copper sulphate based) and an enzyme given your problem sewer and the info on construction isn't making it an easier.

Keep all products from kids reach. Don't use rootx or products like it, down the toilet as it will stain the bowl if given a chance.

When you place any chemical in the drain, it will not come in contact with the entire root, but what is absorbed by the root will affect the entire root.

Another problem you have facing you is once roots infiltrate a drain, it doesn't get better. You will need to have the mainline replaced at some point in the future. Not short term unless something drastic happens, but you need to be aware of this.

Good luck with this...

Old 04-19-11, 03:47 PM
T
I've dealt with this problem several times. The best solution is RootX foaming Root Killer because it kills them for a period of 12 months unlike mechanical cutting which has roots growing back quickly.

Last edited by Gunguy45; 04-20-11 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Removed links to commercial site
Old 04-24-11, 05:28 AM
S
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The roots

My expierence with roots was because the installig plumbers did not put enough lead in the joints, and roots being roots, found the leaky joints. Since the sewer line was under the cellar floor,thus about 7 or 8 feet under th ground, it was much cheeper to rent a sewer cleaner if the problem got out of hand. As a result I started using Root Destroyer about twice a year and had no problem after that. The product is copper sulfate crystles, and you flush it down the toilet, and some of it kind of lays in the house trap and slowly disolves and eats the roots as the water goes by.
Good luck
Sid

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: