Water Going Down Toilet

Old 09-02-02, 11:17 AM
DARYL WITKOWSKI
Visiting Guest
Water Going Down Toilet

Recently the water in my toilet keeps drainging, Water will stay in the toilet for awhile after I flush but slowly drains to where there is no water in the commode. I have replaced the inside parts of the toilet and went on the roof and fished the vent line. The other toilet in the house works fine. Please advise/Help!!!

Daryl

Old 09-02-02, 11:21 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

If the water is draining out of the tank into the bowl, the only way for it to do that is past the flapper.
If you've replaced the flapper, did you clean the flapper seat with steel wool or SOS pad?
Shorten the chain on the flapper until it just allows the flapper to seal fully.
The flapper is where your problem is.
Mike

Old 09-02-02, 11:26 AM
DARYL WITKOWSKI
Visiting Guest
water down the toilet

Mike,
Thanks for replying. The water I'm talking about is in the BOWL not the tank, I have replaced the flapper and the water in the tank is fine it is the water in the Bowl.

Daryl

Old 09-02-02, 11:36 AM
Cool

Water being siphoned (draining) from the bowl usually indicates a partially clogged vent pipe, but if you've already snaked it from top to bottom, and flushed it with a water hose, then there may be a leak in the toilet base itself.
Toilets have built-in traps, and water draining through the drain system will siphon it out if the vent is partially clogged, as you know.
About the only other way for the built-in trap to leak, is if there is a crack in the base, allowing the water to leak out.
Have you checked the basement or crawlspace under that toilet to see if it is leaking? If you can find no leak, you can try snaking and flushing the vent pipe again.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 09-02-02, 11:46 AM
DARYL WITKOWSKI
Visiting Guest
toilet bowl vent

Mike,
We are on a slab, no crawlspace or basement. Is it OK to take a Garden water hose to the roof vent pipe??

Daryl

Old 09-02-02, 12:04 PM
Cool

Sure.
Snake it from top to bottom to break up any sticks, debris, leaves, etc. that may have fallen down into the vent pipe, and then flush it good with a garden water hose sprayer.
The drain/waste/vent system is all interconnected, and the water and broken up debris from the vent will flush right down into the sewer line.
I think that the vent is problem.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 09-03-02, 11:50 AM
LINDA HAWORTH
Visiting Guest
WATER DRAINING FROM TOILET

I am not a plumber, but I had the exact same thing happen to me. It was a brand new toilet (about 4 months old.) Had the plumber come in and look at. He said it was probably a flaw in the toilet, maybe a hairline crack. I had the toilet replaced and no more draining. Said it was not the vents, as I would notice other drain problems and there was not water on the floor.

Good luck, I know how frustrating plumbing issues can be.

Old 09-04-02, 06:03 PM
samirj
Visiting Guest
Question

I am not a plumber either but am a little puzzled. I have 4 toilets in my house and only one is experiencing this problem. I haven't had the opportunity to try to snake the vent line but how is the ventline connected with this issue? I'm just trying to understand how all this stuff is connected and works. TIA.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: