Installing kitchen faucet

Old 09-05-02, 05:21 PM
Scotswahey
Visiting Guest

I have a new kitchen faucet, single lever, with attached braided pipes -- about 6" long. However, when I boldly went under the sink I discovered I have thin copper tubes that go directly into the existing kitchen faucet. These copper pipes are about 15" long. Therefore, do I need to buy additional braided pipes to attach to the new faucet's shorter pipes? Thus removing the copper pipes completely. Or is it advisable to keep copper pipes over braided ones?

I was hoping to just unscrew the old nuts and screw in the new pipes but now I'm even wondering if the copper pipes are soldered. There's a lot of oxidation (spelling??) at the top and bottom of the copper.

any suggestions very welcome.

Old 09-05-02, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If there are shut-off valves under the sink, this job has become dramatically easier. Otherwise, it can become a problem here or there.

Forget about the 6" braided lines, you can get them up to 30" long. No problem on that end.

Tell us if there are valves or is the water line just a straight shot down and somewhere the 3/8" inch copper line has a sweated fitting making it 1/2".

We can finish this project up after knowing this.

Old 09-06-02, 05:59 AM
Scotswahey
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Installing Kitchen Faucet

I'm too much of a weenie to tackle any plumbing job without shut off valves! Yes, at the bottom of each copper pipe there're grey plastic pipes with shut-off valves.

Old 09-06-02, 06:27 AM
Buy the right lenght of supply lines you need. Install them on the new faucet.
Turn off the water to the old faucet.
Rip that puppy off the sink.
Clean area where old faucet was to polish up sink.
Install new faucet....Sit back and enjoy.

Old 09-06-02, 07:13 AM
Scotswahey
Visiting Guest
Installing Kitchen Faucet

Ha! You make it sound soooo easy.

The braided pipes that are attached to the new faucet seem to be crimped at the top. There's no obvious nut to unscrew. The bottom ends are ready to screw into another pipe.

I noticed on the longer braided pipes at the hardware store that they were screw-ins and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't fit directly on this new faucet. I could be wrong, since I haven't removed these new pipes from the new faucet and I don't want to break them by removing them unless I'm sure I can attach new, longer pipes. I'm not averse to jumping in and removing the old faucet but I'd like to feel reasonably comfortable that the pipes that came with the new faucet are replacable with longer pipes.

Does this sound typical of the upper connection on new faucets?

Last edited by Scotswahey; 09-06-02 at 10:11 AM.
Old 09-06-02, 05:08 PM
Are you sure you can't unscrew the hoses where the crimped fitting is. This crimped piece is usualy next to the nut that screws onto the pipe.

What is the brand name of the new faucet and model number?

Old 09-06-02, 06:59 PM
chukmac
Visiting Guest
kitchen faucet

Single lever faucets usually come w/ 6" lines attached (altho they are usually copper) that have 1/2" pipe threads --male--on them.
These attach to your supply line from the shut-off valve..Don't try to take the 6" lines off--they are part of the faucet.
Hope this helps--let us know
chuck

Old 09-07-02, 10:14 AM
Chukmac, it never occured to me that there may be male ends on the flex lines that allow the service lines to attach. I have only seen the short copper lines with the male adapters.

Scotswahey, will another braided service line attach to the existing braided lines on the faucet?

Old 09-07-02, 11:46 AM
chukmac
Visiting Guest
faucet

Notuboo-- I have only seen the braided lines on a few single lever faucets--Installed some in both kitchens for a duplex my neighbor was selling a couple years ago, but neither she nor I can remember the brand. Talked to plumbing expert(?) at HD, and he remembers then too, but no name. So they do (did) exist at one time. sorry can't be more help
chuck

Old 09-07-02, 02:07 PM
Scotswahey
Visiting Guest

I went to the hw store and bought a pipe cutter and two compression fixtures.

I'm going to try cutting the copper pipes to the length I need in order to match up with the length of the new braided pipes on the replacement faucet. Then, using the compression fixtures, attach the remaining old copper pipes to the braided ones on the faucet. If this doesn't work I'm going to definitely need a plumber!

I'll let you know how it goes....

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: