Potty goes "glunk, glunk"

Old 09-05-02, 07:14 PM
Mike55
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Potty goes "glunk, glunk"

This follows some of the other questions, but not exactly. This seems long. My house is a two story type construction with one bathroom up and one down. One directly above the other. The problem I have is, the downstairs bowl flushes and sometimes it lets out a large burp through the water and sometimes even splashes out. The upstairs bowl makes a "glunk-glunk" type sound when it flushes. It usually just spins the first time and then if I flush it again, it goes ok. The valve and flapper were replaced about 2 or 3 years ago. When I moved in, I replaced those when we first moved here. The house was built in 1957 and the old ones looked old. I snaked the drains and ran the snake down through the vents on the roof. Neither seemed to change anything. This started about 6 weeks ago. Anything I haven't covered?

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-05-02, 08:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Sounds like you have a main drain clog.
Use a heavy-duty plumber's snake that will reach from a drain
clean-plug at your house to the street.
If that doesn't do it, you probably have roots in the drain line. (A snake will punch right through roots and give only temp relief.)
In that case, you will need to "roto-rooter" the line.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 09-05-02, 08:57 PM
Mike55
Visiting Guest
Thanks Mike. I guess that is it. I have a 4 inch pipe that sticks out of the ground next to the back of the house. I guess that is a clean out? This house originally had a septic system and now is on sewers. I assume they used the original pipe so far out from the house.

Old 09-06-02, 02:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

If it has a square nut in the middle of the cap to unscrew it with, that is the clean-out.
I would think that your drain line to the sewer would run in a relatively straight line to the street from that clean-out, bypassing the old septic system.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 09-06-02, 05:36 PM
Mike55
Visiting Guest
Mike, the way this house is built, the plumbing exits the rear of the house and circles around to go to the street. The pipe I thought was the clean out is a 4 inch pipe with a cap on top that lifts off.

Old 09-08-02, 06:32 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
when they convert houses from septic to city sewer they usually pick up the line in the back yard and swing it around to the front, then abandon the tank. Cheaper than rerouting the plumbing inside the basement.

Old 09-09-02, 03:16 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You will also find that most of the time, a 100' spool of cable will not be long enough to go to the city main.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: