How to fix leaking under kitchen sink ?

Old 09-06-02, 10:12 PM
CFD323
Visiting Guest
How to fix leaking under kitchen sink ?

I installed a new countertop today and obviously had to undo/reconnect the plumbing to the kitchen sink(switched sink from old countertop to new one). My plumbing never leaked before but it does now and no matter what I do, it doesn't seem to help. Granted I'm a little limited as it's 11pm and Home Depot is closed. I teflon taped everything and it seems like it's ok until I put the sink drain plug in, fill up the sink about 1-2" deep, and then yank the plug. It leaks bad both right underneath the sink itself and then where the pipe goes vertically down into the trap(first bend in pipe). Can I use pipe dope on metal ? What else can I do ? I used new pipes and o=rings too so that's not the problem.
I've got a double bowl sink. Each side empties into one T-fitting that drains down a 6" vertical pipe to the trap, and out. All pipes are metal. No PVC. Please help as I'm pulling out the little bit of hair I have left !!

Old 09-07-02, 11:01 AM
Bill Locke
Visiting Guest
Leaking Pipes

Get some Locktite PST (available at napa stores) and use instead of teflon tape. let it dry a few hours before putting water pressure on it , unless it is a drain, in which case you can run watter right away. I have thrown away teflon tape for plumbing repairs after using the PST. I have been recommending it on this forum and have not had anyone tell me that it didn't work for them after using it properly. Good luck and let us know if this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: