Clogged drain

Old 09-08-02, 06:28 PM
Mobby
Visiting Guest
Clogged drain

My basement drain backs up every time the washer drains. I tried to clear the clog with a "drain snake" and it failed but I did discover a black, stinkey substance, that could be the clog and reason for slow drains all over the house, that is apparently at least 2 1/2 feet thick. What is that stuff and how do I get rid of it?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-02, 06:35 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is your laundry room underneath your kitchen? The kitchen sink and your laundry drain may share a drainpipe, meaning that all that gungy grease and food waste clogs the drainline. That may be what you are seeing. It sounds like the drain line is still clogged. You may have not gone far enough or ran it back and forth enough to push that sludgy crap out of the line.

Old 09-09-02, 03:12 PM
You found the reason why drain cleaners charge so much...

It sounds like you found grease, and yes it does clog the drains. A little auger without a cutter head will just punch a hole through it and it will eventually close back up and clog again. You need to either rent a large machine with the full size cutter head to completely clear this (not just push it out further) or hire a drain cleaner to do it with all his equipment.
Regardless, this will be a messy job and you'll smell good afterward also.

If you do it, take your time, be super safe around the equipment with loose clothing, wear the proper safety equipment. Let us know how it turns out...

Old 09-10-02, 04:28 AM
Mobby
Visiting Guest
thanks

Yes you are correct Paul the washer dryer are directly benieth the kitchen sink. I never pur graese down the drain but we just bouight the house so who knows what went on before. I was hopeing for some enzimatic ore microbial solution or even liquid drain opener but it looks like "Notu" has put the Kybosh on that magic pill/elixer idea. Thanks for the help can you imagine any thing else that might work?

Old 09-10-02, 07:22 PM
The emyzime based cleaners do work on grease and other organic material. The problem with these type treatments is that you need to look at it as a maintenance program, not "the fix"...
Once cleaned out and draining properly, then by all means use the emyzime based cleaners...I prefer these over the chemicals for a number od reasons.
Regular treatment, you will have years of trouble free drains, providing you put items meant for the drains and not the trash.

Old 09-11-02, 01:56 AM
Mobby
Visiting Guest
O.K. guys thanks for your input. I guess that it is up to me to get to work now. I will let you know how it all turns out.