Sink Pump nstall - Question about check valves

Old 09-11-02, 09:58 AM
ozz
Visiting Guest
Sink Pump nstall - Question about check valves

I am installing a sink pump in the wetbar in my basement and I need some expert advice.
I have the pump (Shellback) and all the appropriate pieces need to connect this pump to the drain installed by my plumber but I question how well the check valve I have will work. It is a 3/4" brass, solderable swing gate type valve - not spring loaded, no rubber inside (Home Depot stocked item). I question if this vavle will be able to hold back the water from the pipe gong up to the drain above (~6' lift). The last thing I want is for the pump to cycle all the time as water seeps past the valve. Will this metal to metal valve really seal off water?

Secondly, Can this valve be installed both horizontally and vertically or does it have to be oriented in one direction?

THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-02, 10:42 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As far as I know that valve should only be installed in a vertical position, and there should be an arrow indicating the water flow. A copper or brass valve would work in holding the water.

Old 09-11-02, 02:20 PM
Davef15
Visiting Guest
A swing check can be installed in the horizontal unless there is some local code that says no. However, the "hinge" must be up and it must be installed to open in the direction of flow.

(Back pressure devices are not much more than swing checks and they are installed horizontal)

Old 09-11-02, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Also read your sump pump directions closely. Some pumps require a 3/32" hole drilled into the discharge line below the check valve for the warrenty to be valid.
This hole allows water to drain out of the line when the pump is off and helps the pump overcome line pressure from water above the check.

BTW: you position this hole to spray down into the sump pit, not just anywhere.

Old 09-12-02, 10:29 AM
ozz
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help.... yea, it's a pump that attaches to the sink drain (no retention tub or crock) and comes on once the water has reached a certain height (pressure diaphram) so I don't think I'll need a hole in the pipe before the valve - good info to know though.