Sink Pump nstall - Question about check valves


Old 09-11-02, 09:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Sink Pump nstall - Question about check valves

I am installing a sink pump in the wetbar in my basement and I need some expert advice.
I have the pump (Shellback) and all the appropriate pieces need to connect this pump to the drain installed by my plumber but I question how well the check valve I have will work. It is a 3/4" brass, solderable swing gate type valve - not spring loaded, no rubber inside (Home Depot stocked item). I question if this vavle will be able to hold back the water from the pipe gong up to the drain above (~6' lift). The last thing I want is for the pump to cycle all the time as water seeps past the valve. Will this metal to metal valve really seal off water?

Secondly, Can this valve be installed both horizontally and vertically or does it have to be oriented in one direction?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-02, 10:42 AM
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,915
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
As far as I know that valve should only be installed in a vertical position, and there should be an arrow indicating the water flow. A copper or brass valve would work in holding the water.
Old 09-11-02, 02:20 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
A swing check can be installed in the horizontal unless there is some local code that says no. However, the "hinge" must be up and it must be installed to open in the direction of flow.

(Back pressure devices are not much more than swing checks and they are installed horizontal)
Old 09-11-02, 05:06 PM
notuboo's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Kansas City MO
Posts: 1,780
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Also read your sump pump directions closely. Some pumps require a 3/32" hole drilled into the discharge line below the check valve for the warrenty to be valid.
This hole allows water to drain out of the line when the pump is off and helps the pump overcome line pressure from water above the check.

BTW: you position this hole to spray down into the sump pit, not just anywhere.
Old 09-12-02, 10:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks for the help.... yea, it's a pump that attaches to the sink drain (no retention tub or crock) and comes on once the water has reached a certain height (pressure diaphram) so I don't think I'll need a hole in the pipe before the valve - good info to know though.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: