ABS drainage - dry fitting

Old 09-18-02, 08:43 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ABS drainage - dry fitting

has anyone ever had difficulty dry-fitting ABS drainage pipes? I want to dry fit everything before applying solvent and mating them permanently together....

i'm dry-fitting our new drainage. problem is that if the coupler and the pipe are engaged too far, it's hard to pull them apart. very difficult!!

sometimes it's hard to get the two pieces to engage all the way. makes it difficult to measure things out...

definitely more difficult than copper...

any advice?
thnaks

Old 09-18-02, 08:58 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Sandpaper them down to loosen up the fitting inside and the pipe outside. They will still glue together well.
The ABS glue chemically bonds ("welds") them together, once you're ready to glue it.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 09-21-02, 09:30 AM
F
reply to old guy

thanks old guy...

1) how much sanding do you have to do? seems like quite a bit.
2) do the fittings need to engage all the way?
3) i have a 4in coupler to engage with the toilet flange and it seems like i'm going to have to sand quite a bit...i may have to rely on the solvent to act as a lubricant to get the fitting to engage all the way..is this typical?

thanks

Old 09-21-02, 10:06 AM
Fittings are standard tappered, one way to do this is measure the inside hub depth, most will be half the size of the fitting size your using,

Take you time and do one step at a time, work from your largest size to your smallest size, when you have each step complete. glue that part together, then move on, if you do a dry fit with it all put together, you will come up short, most for the time you will find some flexibility in the pipes, this allowing you to aline as you go.

Old 09-21-02, 10:17 AM
Let me ask a few questions here,

What all you trying to do?

You only working with a toilet flange?

Is there any corners / elbows?

is there an existing pipe your working with?

Need more info.

Old 09-21-02, 10:32 AM
F
thanks Plumber2000

i'm redoing the entire drainage for the bathroom...sink, toilet, shower/tub, venting, etc...

i think i know what i want to do...but the biggest problem is trying to measure things out and cut the right lengths to get what i need..(dry-fit)

but the fittings are really tight! once i get them together, it's very difficult to pull them apart again..especially the toilet flange piece...even with a little sanding, i can't even get the coupler to fully enage with it...will the lube be enough to do that? if the fittings don't engage all the way, my measurements will be off...

i don't know, but i really want to get started, so i'll probably take your advice and do one section at a time and forget the idea of dryfitting everything together first..

Old 09-21-02, 10:41 AM
One section at a time, if you measure and you feel it might come up short, always cut a little longer then needed, you can always trim down do the lenght you want.

Most of the time, with out help holding fitting where they need to be and then getting the measurement, I will estimate and cut longer then needed, then I'll glue that into the completed part, then work on the next section, if the part I just glued in is to long, I'll take next fitting and determine where I need to shorten the pipe at, glue it in place and do next part.

Take your time, you can do this.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: