stem?

Old 09-20-02, 04:32 PM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
stem?

hello
in trying to close the shut off under the bathroom sink to replace the faucet, i found the cold water would not totally stop. after shutting the main i pulled the stem and the washer was in bad shape so i thought a new one would solve it. the hardeware man said to replace the vale b/c it is 15 years old and chewing the washer up. i have replaced the washer and the valve leaks a tiny bit.
should i get a seat grinder or should i replace the valve?
i am not too experienced but can sweat etc. i have never used a seat finisher or grinder but i think it just screws in like the stem and when you turn it, it smooths the seat so the washer will seat well. i'd rather that then replace the valve; that would mean shutting the main, heating the valve and removing it(would i cut b/c there is no room to pull apart is there?) and sweating a new one in. does that sound right? the measurements are what bother me with the i.d and the o.d etc. do you think if i brought the stem to home depot i could find the right replacement and more importantly, with that stem be able to get the right size seat grinder?
i wish i could give you better information especially sizes but that's my weakest area..
thank you for your help and i'll let you know what happens so other readers can do theirs.
pete

Old 09-20-02, 05:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just remove the seat. It will screw out with either a square seat tool or a 5/32 Allen wrench. You bought the stem and store will be able to match seat. I use a 5/32 tee handle allen wrench because it offers more leverage than the L shaped wrenches.

I always found the seat grinding tool doesn't do that great of a job on the long run. It will work, but what about next time you need to replace stem?

Any questions, ask away in this thread and someone will answer you.

Old 09-21-02, 05:29 AM
P
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
ez beans

hi notuboo
you just gave me some free time on my saturday-i already have the tool but my mind was somewhere else. if for some other reason it did not work, i'll stop whining at just replace the valve. but i have alot of faith in your idea-thanx alot.
pete

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: