Water pump won't turn off

Old 09-23-02, 02:42 PM
lauriemack
Visiting Guest

I have a dug well. A couple of days ago I ran out of water. The faucet started spitting air and I heard the pump drawing air in. I turned the pump off and waited until the well had water again. Now when I use water in the house, the pump fills the water tank until the tank's pressure gauge reaches around 43 psi. The pump continues to run, but the pressure doesn't increase. I shut the pump down and turn it back on when I need water again. I think the pump is set at 30-50. It will not currently shut itself off. The water tank is a welltrol tank with an air bladder.

I'd appreciate any advice as to how to rectify this problem.
Thank you.
Laurie Mack

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-02, 04:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Are you having a drought in your area?
It may possibly be low water level in the well, OR it may be an air leak from the pressure tank bladder, or a leak on the suction (well) side of the pump.
To check the pressure tank:
Turn off the power to the pump and drain the water pressure off.
Use a tire gauge to check the pressure tank air pressure. It should be 28 psi, or two psi below your 30 psi cut-on pressure.
If it is low, air it back up with a bicycle pump or portable air tank or compressor. If it won't hold the 28 psi, then you have a leak in the bladder and need to replace the pressure tank.
Ron (Pumpman) Peeks is the resident pump and well expert here, and until he comes along, you can visist his site at ww.peekspump.com and www.jessstryker.com for excellent tutorials on wells and pumps.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 09-23-02, 11:05 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Laurie Mack,
As usual, Mike (OldGuy), has given you sound advice.
I'll agree with him that you may have an air leak on the suction side of the pump (or, if you have a submersible, the pump is picking up air from somewhere).
Follow his directions concerning your pressure tank and it'll either show the tank is at fault, or that it's ok.
I'm a little concerned that you ran out of water, as sometimes this can damage the pump, especially if the pump ran a while without water. Any plastic parts inside the pump can be damaged when this happens and you'll see the problems that you're experiencing.
I would suggest that you have a reputable well/pump person check your system out. If you have any doubts about what they tell you, let us know and we'll pass along our thoughts about it, ok?
Good luck,
Ron Peeks
R.L. Peeks Pump Sales
www.peekspump.com