Toliet bowl water level way to low

Old 10-04-02, 05:39 PM
M
maui2000m
Visiting Guest
Toliet bowl water level way to low

The level in the toliet bowl is very low. The tank level is fine.
It does flush fine. The water goes through the tub and fills up the water level. The water level is at a .5 inch below overflow.
You say it is suppose to be low its a water saving feature.
The solid waste hits the sides and marks up the whole toilet bowl before it touches the water way down below.

I don't want to scrub the toliet each time I go. The water seems to be just a couple cups of water.
I have the plunger type.
Is there anything I can do besides by a new toliet?
Deb

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-02, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You say the water level is too low in the bowl, is it always at this level? Ever see it higher then that one level?

If you only seen it at this one level, then there is nothing you can do.

What brand is this toilet?

You might think about a new toilet.

Old 10-05-02, 03:44 PM
M
maui2000m
Visiting Guest
water level to low

The level has been like this 2 years.
I bought a forecloser. I believe it might have been higher before we changed from the float bowl syster to the plunger type.
I forgot what shape it was in. But since I changed it, it must have been leaking or running.
The toliet bowl must be about 7 years old.
We'll be moving in about a year. How can I guarantee the toliet I'm buying will have the water any higher.
Berber is the brand 1.6 gpf and 6.0 is LPF.
The equiptment in the tank looks to function correctly.
As water keeps coming into the bowl it gets no higher past that one point. The bend that would cause the suction seems to be a couple inches higher than the water level.
Thanks
Deb

Old 10-05-02, 09:57 PM
L
Deb, try this. Get a 1 or 2 gallon bucket (or a largre bowl) about 1/2 full of water and pour it slowly into the toilet bowl. What happened to the water level? If the water level came up, there are 2 possibilities.

First, check inside the tank. There should be a small (1/4") tube attached to the stand pipe inside the tank. When you flush the toilet, water whould flow freely through that tube. This is what fills the bowl after the flapper has closed, and while the tank is filling. If the tube isn't attached and putting water into the stand pipe, attach it so it does. If the tube is attached properly but has no water flowing through it, replace the fill valve with a Fluidmaster 400.

The other possibility, if everything inside the tank is working properly, is that you have a partially clogged main waste line, and water is being siphoned out of the bowl.

IF, when you poured the water into the bowl, the water level in the bowl did not change, then that is as full as the bowl can be, and everything is normal.

Old 10-07-02, 03:38 AM
M
maui2000m
Visiting Guest
water level in bowl to low

Thanks so much for the response.
I tried pouring water in the bowl slowly. Didn't rise one bit.
The thing I do know about my supply tube is so much water comes out of it the big tube the water goes into can't keep up so it over flows. I notice as water inters my bowl for a good period of time the water level does raise up.
I did try plunging it.
There really isn't enough water to get a good seal.
Thanks for trying everybody.

Old 10-07-02, 04:37 AM
S
sunshinedebbie
Visiting Guest
people: take the top off the toilet tank and adjust the amount of water in there. it's THAT simple!

Old 10-07-02, 04:12 PM
M
maui2000m
Visiting Guest
SunshineDebbie,
The problem isn't the tank or the water supply.
Its no matter how much water goes into the bowl it keeps getting sucked down the drain..
I can take 5 gallons pour it into the bowl directly and out it goes.
It has to due with the natural suction taking the water out.
It might have been that my toliet make made it to efficent and the bend part of the back of the bowl might be to low which detemines how much will stay in the bowl.
I can't believe how anyone would want this little in the bowl because of where the waste bumps up against on the way down.
I did make adjustments in the beginning before I wrote in this forum. The functions work just like the book.
I did state I had plenty of water coming in, in fact so much so of it over flows the tub. I keep the water level below the tube opening like I'm suppose to. Others questioned whether any water comes out of the tube is the only reason I mentioned it.
I just checked again and the tank looks fine. I even adjusted the water flow. Again gallons of water will go in the bowl after the flush is over and it all gets sucked down after the flush takes place. I can go back an hour later add water slowly and it gets sucked down. Its got to be the type of toilet because the bend is almost the same height as my water level.
Probably this way because I own a condo and the water is included in the maintance, that they installed this water saving toilet. Thanks for trying. I'ved in the past installed many new ball and **** systems so I'm familar with making adjustments.
Deb

Old 10-07-02, 05:00 PM
Almost sounds like lack of vetilation, or vent is plugged up,.

Old 10-07-02, 08:14 PM
M
maui2000m
Visiting Guest
Water level to low

Thank you Plumber2000. You may be right.
We changed the faucet of a sink near by.
I noticed awhile ago the water drains really slow from it.
But being busy it wasn't a priority to check out.
I should work on that.
When you said vent did you mean something other than the sewer. I'm thinking you did. I don't recall any extra piping leading away. I'm not at home to check right now.
I did try to plunge the toilet again and also as I flushed it when there is more water in. It doesn't hardly ever stuff up and it hasn't been recently. The water leaves the toilet quickly.
Do you think my vent is a shared one with neighbors in my condo?
I'll try to ask to see a neighbors toilet.
Deb

Old 10-07-02, 10:17 PM
Just a thought. take the trap off the sink and flush the toilet, if you see results with the trap off then your lacking good venting.

Old 10-08-02, 02:08 AM
M
maui2000m
Visiting Guest
Water level to low

I took the trap off and I flushed the toilet. No change. But I did make the adjustment to the leveler under the sink and my sink drains normal rather than slow. Thanks for encouraging me to at least get that done.

Old 10-08-02, 05:32 AM
The age of the toilet says many things. I think you now know one of the problems with the original design of low flow toilets. Too little water in the bowl and proper self cleaning interiors sides were just two design flaws. You particular brand of toilet was not special in this area.
I'd look at a new toilet, but that's just me.

Old 10-08-02, 01:51 PM
M
maui2000m
Visiting Guest

I think now its toilet design.
I went upstairs and their water is just as low as mine.
Anyone on tips on being able to pick out a new toilet that can guarantee me lots of water in the bowl.
I don't want to spend much. We plan to live here only 8 more months then sell it.
I can probably tell best on how high that bend in the back is.
I will check the other buildings to see if they are low. In case this is a building venting probleming.
Thanks everyone.
Deb

Old 10-08-02, 02:09 PM
T
You can look at the back of the bowl, and look at the design of the "water flow". The lowest point of the water passage (the rounder part of the design) will be the highest point of your water in the bowl.

Old 10-08-02, 04:51 PM
M
maui2000m
Visiting Guest

That is what it is. I had mentioned about being close to the height might be the reason. But since you said lowest point of where that bend is I checked again. It is equal to where the water is. Thanks. I use to live in the Chicago area. Aurora, Schaumburg, Rolling Mdws.

Old 10-08-02, 05:05 PM
I like to install the American Standard Cadet Toilets, find them very reliable.

Old 10-08-02, 05:40 PM
M
maui2000m
Visiting Guest

Thanks for the suggetion of what toilet to get.