Rusted Saddle Clamp

Old 10-07-02, 12:00 PM
mloman
Visiting Guest
Question Rusted Saddle Clamp

There is an extremely rusted saddle clamp on a water pipe which runs across my basement ceiling. The pipe around the saddle clamp looks a bit rusted as well. The pipe is copper and is very long. Replacing the entire pipe would be difficult since only a 3 ft section is exposed (the rest is hidden under a drywall ceiling). Thankfully, the rusted saddle clamp exists on the easily accessible sction of pipe.

How would I go about fixing this problem? Do I have to cut out a section of the pipe and replace it?

I would appreciate any suggestion. Thanks,

-Marcus

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-02, 02:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You talking about a saddle? Is there a smaller pipe off the saddle that might go to an icemaker?

If not then I'd cut it and and replace the bad section of pipe

Old 10-07-02, 03:43 PM
mloman
Visiting Guest
Yes, that is what it is. Currently, there is not a smaller tube or pipe leading to an icemaker (I assume one existed in the past).

How do I replace the bad section of pipe? Do I cut a new piece of pipe (same diameter) and solder the joints? Or should the replacement pipe be a wider diameter? If this is the case, I can't see how I could get both ends to fit onto the current pipe (since the current pipe is fixed in place).

Please expand on your last answer. Thanks.

Old 10-07-02, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you no longer have need for that icemaker line then you will cut it out, and solder in a new section of pipe, probably 1/2" copper, there is a coupling called a repair coupling, has no stop in the center of them, this allows you to slip the coupling farther on the pipe so you can work with stright runs with no flexability in the pipes.

Or you can use compression repair coupling these compress on the pipes for a water tight seal.