Main Water Line humming

Old 10-10-02, 05:27 AM
JHM
Visiting Guest
Main Water Line humming

The main water line into the house hums. The humming occurs after the water preasure regulator and after the 90 degree turn up the wall. The pipe is secure to the wall. If I hold the pipe with the water running it becomes quiter but does not stop. The humming began after I replaced the preasure regulator. While doing this I noticed a slight "v" shaped notch in the pipe. The humming did not start immediatley but rather some time later. The preasure regulator is connected to the water pipes via brass fittings. The pipe only vibrates between two securing points just above the preasure reulator. Any help is most welcome.

JHM

Old 10-10-02, 05:42 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It hums because it doesn't know the words...!

You replaced the pressure regulator and probably loosened the pipe supports that held the piping firmly in place. This is what I would look at first, even placing another support where you have pin pointed the worst of the vibrantion.

Humming is usually associated with a loose rubber washer on a valve stem or even a pressure regulator. A vibration occurs from water rushing past the loose piece and this vibration is translated into a noise.

If you are noticing this humming on only one fixture, you may want to check out the stop and the control stem.

Any more problems, questions ask away in this thread and someone will get back with you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: