plumbing

Old 10-10-02, 11:12 AM
chekmait187
Visiting Guest
plumbing

I have a huge leak in the basement running from the where the basement wall and floor come together. The city just came out and turned off the water and it stopped coming in. Now what do I do? When the water started coming in it was squirting about two inches into the air, a few people have said that it means the break in the pipe is close to the wall. People have suggested taking a sledgehammer to the basement wall and digging out the pipe and cutting off the broken part and repairing it. What if the leak is further back? Should I even attempt ripping through the basement wall? And also the water has been running into the drain for 34 hours straight. Its off now. Should I wait for it do dry out down there?

Old 10-10-02, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If you had to dig down to the pipe on the outside, how deep would you say it was?

Old 10-10-02, 04:02 PM
chekmait187
Visiting Guest
plumbing

the pipe is probably 5 feet down from the grass. Its also runs underneath a sidewalk, a bush, and a good size deck. The insurance company says its gonna pay to repair any damage from the water but they wont pay for any plumbing. What has to be done to the walls since water started coming in from all around the basement? The insurance adjuster is coming tomorrow to see estimates.

Old 10-10-02, 04:20 PM
I think it would be best to dig down and expose the pipe on the outside from foundation and out about 2' to 3' from it, this will give you plenty of room for a repair to be made. And dig it out before you turn it on to see what is happening.

What type of pipe is this?

Old 10-10-02, 05:07 PM
A couple of safety points on your digging. Would a gas line or underground electrical be anywhere even close to where you are digging? What about phone or cable? When you go over waist deep, make the hole much, much bigger than you think you need so dirt doesn't try to bury you (if it was to slough off the wall) when you are bent over working on the pipe.

If yes to ant underground utility, call the free utility location number usually in the front of the phone books. Here it's 1-800-digsafe, but other areas have different number.

good luck...

Old 10-10-02, 07:38 PM
L
Plumber 2000 and notuboo have given you good advise. Dig the pipe up from the outside, rather than bust a hole in the basement wall. That wall is the foundation for your house. You really don't want to weaken it. Digging 5' below grade is inherently dangerous. You really need to start your hole AT LEAST 5' in each direction from the center point. You will be moving a lot of dirt. (5' in each direction along the wall, and 5' OUT from the wall.) Like notuboo recommended, call BEFORE you dig to locate any underground utilities that may be present. You need to call at least 24 hours before you start digging. It is always a toll-free call, as well as a free service. To find the number, call any of your local utilities. One call will have each agency come out and alert you to whatever t-phone, electric, gas, sewer, water lines may be present in the area you will be digging.

As a contractor, if I call and have the underground services located before I start digging, and happen to hit a line that wasn't identified, I am basically off the hook. However, If I were to start digging without making the call and hit a line, I am 100% responsible for ANY damages that were done, and I would probably be without my license within a matter of hours!!

Old 10-11-02, 08:45 AM
chekmait187
Visiting Guest
plumbing

if i go at the pipe from the outside it runs underneath a deck that had been built over the front porch, which is huge, and it also runs underneath a garden that borders the outside of the deck, and also it runs under the old porch that is under the deck. The old porch consists of some concrete steps, a few boulders and a couple of broken slabs of cement. I guess the previous owners just built a deck over all the crap. But there is alot on top of the ground over the pipe. There is also a pretty big sidewalk. So would removing all that stuff, which would involve puttin in a new porch because the front door is about 2 1/2 feet above the ground, breaking up about 3 or 4 blocks of sidewalk, and getting that old huge porch out of the way, is that still the better way to go than to try and get to the pipe from the basement? What about all the water that was seaping in from around the basement, do we just have someone that seals basements up come and do that?

Old 10-11-02, 08:56 AM
What type of pipe comes through that foundation, there are companies that has equipment that can pull a new line from the meter to the basement, meaning they can split the old line with a new one.

Other option is to bypass old route the line now takes from the meter to a new route and enter the basement in a new location. This would allow you to route the line around the stuff in the yard.

Old 10-11-02, 12:59 PM
chekmait187
Visiting Guest
I had a couple of people plumbers over today. One guy said for 3600$ he would dig up by the t valve and by the intake pipe in the basement floor and use a water drill to lay new piping because the old pipe is galvanized steel and he says cant be repaired. Another guy says to do the same except come through the basement wall by removing a couple of boulders and it would cost 1950$. So is it possible for me and couple of people that are into plumbing and home repairs to do it ourselves? To come through the wall wouldn't be 42 inches downthat the code says it has to be, would that be ok? Where do I get a water drill, or router I think he called it? How much are they? Should I go through the floor and just dig some out and drill to the hole?

Old 10-11-02, 06:04 PM
You need a permit to install a new water service from the meter to the house, and you will need to follow the codes. The eqiupment there talking about is specility equipment, and you can bet these cost in the thousands of dollars alone, and there not in a rental yard, your best bet is to have a plumber do it.

Or start digging, give underground a call, if code says it need to be 42" down then that what it needs to be at, I don't think you need shoring at 42" deep trench, there might even be a trencher at a rental yord that goes 4' deep, call and ask.

If you go with a plumber, make sure who ever it is, that there bonded and insured.

Don't do this without a permit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: