underground gas line

Old 10-11-02, 06:38 PM
steiny60
Visiting Guest
underground gas line

i would like to run a natural gas line from my house to my garage. it is approx. 75 ft. away. is there a flexible tubing ican run underground to do this.i will just be running a space heater so probably 3/4 inch or so. aqnd how deep must it be buried.

thank you

Old 10-11-02, 08:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow Job for a pro

I am all about doing things myself but I think I would leave this one for a pro.

Old 10-13-02, 11:28 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello steiny60

I am not a plumber. Some plumbers specialize in this area of piping. Therefore, I suggest you contact 1 or 2 and get their suggestions and advice before proceeding with this project. Opinions vary widely.

Also the advice of your local building & safety department. There are strict codes and laws pertaining to how gaslines are to be installed, what materials must be used and what pipe size to use in every situation. Also contact the local gas supply utility.

Failure to adhere to codes, installing the wrong pipe size and doing the project incorrectly can cause major grief in the future. May also void homeowners insurance, etc.

Our resident plumbing professionals in the forum topic may offer additional helpful, advice and or suggestions. Check on your topic for the next several days for additonal replies.

Regards & Good Luck, Forum Host & Moderator.
Tom_Bart...."Fast, Fair, Friendly & Highly Proficient"....
TCB4U2B2B....Company Enterprises.

Old 10-13-02, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't think DIY'ers should do gas pipe work what so ever, there is danger involved.

Have a plumbing company take care of this for you.

Old 10-13-02, 06:43 PM
McDiver
Visiting Guest
Gas Lines

I have worked for the local gas utility for about 29 years and I would not hesitate to install my own gas lines. I will have to agree with every one else. You need to have a pro do the work. If you still want to install your own gas line let me give some pointer to think about. You will need to cut the gas off to do this work. Do you know where the gas meter is to cut the gas off? Do you know how to relight all your appliances? Do you know how to check for gas leaks? ( there are several ways to do this) If you said yes to these questions you will need to get the BTU's of the existing appliance and the size of the pipe that you will be connecting to. Next call your local gas utility to find out what size gas line you will need, how deep to bury the line and what gas line materials are acceptabe in the area. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: