Studer (?) valve


Old 10-13-02, 03:32 PM
Mark B
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Studer (?) valve

I have old lead drain/vent pipe connection for my kitchen sink, running through a non-conventional outer wall. The wall is cinder block with 3/4 inch furring strips on it, with 1 inch thick plaster/gypsum board walls. The drain and vent pipe is essentially embedded in the wall, with the large 2 inch coupling protruding from the wall almost an inch, and the rest of the pipe sticking out about 1/2 inch.

I want to replace this without building all new walls to run new inch and a half pipe through, but can't figure out a way to connect the old and new without another large joint that would stick out (this old condition worked because the original cabinets were built around this obstruction without backs). I was told that there is a valve that I can simply attach between the sink drain and the new drain pipe that will allow the system to 'breathe' when necessary, without allowing sewer gases into the house. I think it was called a Studer valve, or something of that sort.

Does such a valve exist, and is it something that will pass code inspection? Also, are there any limitations on the functional use of such a device? Thanks to all who respond.
Old 10-13-02, 03:37 PM
notuboo's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Kansas City MO
Posts: 1,780
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Some local authorities now allow this venting in some applications. Talk to local building code people with specifics of your drain problems before talking about an air admittance valve.

more questions, ask in this thread and someone will answer you.
Old 10-13-02, 03:42 PM
Mark B
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks for the speedy reply (within minutes!) and thanks for the correct spelling and web site to check out. I'll look at the web site and check with the local building code office this week. I suspect that if such a valve is sold in local home improvement stores, it's probably code-approved (?)...
Old 10-13-02, 05:43 PM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,948
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Your drain pipe must already be vented properly, if it has been working for years.
What you may need is just another threaded coupling or a nipple with a Fernco coupling on it into your drain trap assembly.
A Fernco is just a neoprene (like a shoe heel) rubber sleeve with a couple of hose clamps on it.
Good Luck!
Old 10-13-02, 07:45 PM
Mark B
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thanks, Mike. No question that the existing drain/vent is functional, but the problem is space. It's a funky arrangement, with the pipes literally embedded in plaster and bent to fit through what appears to be a hole punched into the cinder block wall, with the pipe running up the hollow space in the blocks themselves to the roof vent. Then the pipe comes out into the kitchen, attached to a large angled coupling (galvanized iron, it looks like), then attaches to the one-piece lead drainpipe/sink stub-out. All of this is just embedded into the plaster, with anywhere from 1/2 inch to a full inch jutting out past the wall surface. My kitchen cabinet layout won't accomodate this, even with cut-outs in the back of the cabinets, due to drawer hardware placement. The cabinets are here, so too late to change them. That's why I considered just cutting out the old stuff, leaving the old lead vent pipe in the wall and replacing the drain pipe with plastic, and adding the Studor valve.

Like I said, it's a weird old set-up, probably not following any given code at the time (early 1950's), when my house was not within the incorporated city limits and probably allowed the builder to do what they did. Any other suggestions (besides building out the wall!) would be appreciated.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: