clogged toilets

Old 10-21-02, 06:32 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
clogged toilets

Greetings,
I have a home that is 9 years old. It is a 1 story rancher with 2 full baths. We bought the home when it was 1 year old from a military family who was being transfered. they had 2 small children. When we bought the house we started to notice that every 4 or 5 flushes, we would have to use a plunger because the water, and waste would not go down. This is the case with both toilets. 1 is in the hall bath, and the other in the master bedroom bath. The way the house is built; both baths actually butt up wall to wall with each other, so I think they must tie in to each other with a Y joint, so it must be something that is beyond the point where both lines come together. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I know it seems absurd that I've let it go this long, but I have. Thank you.
John Sr.
Edit: I bought a 25 ft. snake/auger at lowes and tried using it but it seemed the curvature of my tiolet would not let the thing feed very far. Also, it seemed like it was scratching the heck out of the bowl. I just couldn't seem to get good results with it.
Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-02, 08:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

You can try snaking through a clean-out plug or down through the vent to see if you can clear the drain line.
If that doesn't work, you will have to pull one of the toilets and snake it through a closet bend.
A toilet has its own built-in trap, and you can't get a snake through it.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 10-21-02, 12:20 PM
J
Old Guy,
Thanks for the quick response. When you refer to the cleanout; is that the unscrewable cap near the Y joint under the house? Also about the vent. Is that the vent pipe on the roof you are referring to? I hate to sound so ignorant about this, but I guess I am. I just don't want to make it worse by doing something wrong. Thank you.
John Sr.

Old 10-21-02, 09:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You may have the 1.6 gal toilets that never flushed very well. Had one in my house that never flushed from the time we installed it. After they improved them we replaced it and had no further problems. Just a thought.