Hot and Cold Water Reversed on Shower Control--Is There a Fix?

Old 10-22-02, 12:28 PM
Hot and Cold Water Reversed on Shower Control--Is There a Fix?

We just bought a house that is 4 years old, and after using the shower in both bathrooms, realized the hot water is where the cold should be on the control, and the cold is where the hot designation should be (it's a single handle delta shower faucet).

Can this be fixed, or is it something the plumber screwed up when building the house that can't be fixed without tearing walls out/replacing pipes, etc?

The previous owners said it was normal when they lived here, and the plumber that recently fixed leaks in those showers must have put something back on wrong. Are they lying? The man at Lowes said it is something that can't be changed without tearing up walls/pipes.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-02, 01:03 PM
Admin Emeritus
Smile .....My 2 Cents

Hello: Marc31605

If the water is coming out of the pipes correctly, hot on the left and cold on the right, the problem is in the faucets.

The correctional method will require removal of the cartriges from inside the valve and reversing them. Had this same problem with a replacement shower faucet mixing valve myself.

I am not a plumber and I am sure the professionals in this forum will provide you with a confirmation on this method or the correct method.

Lets hope that plumber didn't cross the water lines behind the walls, that's a possibility but not likely. If the problem isn't at any sink, then it's not likely crossed lines. If it is at all faucets, could be crossed lines at the water heater.

Regards & Good Luck
Web Site Host & Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart Company Enterprises.....TCB4U2B2B
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 10-22-02, 02:49 PM
All the other faucets (sinks in baths and kitchen) work properly.

On both showers, however, if you turn the handle to the C, hot comes out; if you turn it to the H, cold comes out.

The previous owners said it worked properly for them--must have been the repair guy that just fixed a leak on both that didn't put something back right. They could be lying, I don't know--just want to know what we're looking at before we call the fix it guy back out that did the work for previous owners--don't want to look like a fool if the owners are the ones lying.

Old 10-22-02, 04:53 PM
What brand is this valve? Is it Moen?

Single handle control?

Old 10-22-02, 08:00 PM
If I remember right it's an easy fix by just turning the cartridge 180 degees and putting it back in. Hot and cold lines always end up on the wrong side of one shower when houses are built with showers back to back so Manufactuers make it easy to correct.

Old 10-22-02, 08:05 PM
If it is a standard Moen or a Moen Troll valve, you don't even need to pull cartiage, all you have to do is remove the handle, and turn the very center 180, put handle back on and hot and cold will be on correct sides.

Old 10-23-02, 12:06 AM
Tell us what brand of valve you are dealing with. A Moen, Like Ron said, simply requires turning the handle 180 degrees. A Delta means you need to shut off the water and flip the cartridge 180 degrees. Since a "repair guy" was there and fixed some leaks, you are probably right -- he put something back together bassackwards.

Old 10-23-02, 08:04 AM
It is a Delta, single handle. And the showers are not back to back, they are in separate rooms far apart.

Old 10-24-02, 08:49 AM
If it's a ball type valve, only way is in the wall or under the house, for cartiage type, one type is reversible by pulling the cartiage out and turning it 180 degrees and reinstalling it, the other type you need to get a seperate cartiage to reverse hot and cold sides.

Old 10-24-02, 09:57 AM
Thank you all for your help!

Old 10-29-02, 07:17 PM
Called the guy back out today that did the repairs for the previous owners--sure enough, he put the cartridge in backwards. All fixed now.

In his defense, the hot water heater was turned off/gas turned off when he did the repair, so he had no way of checking. He apologized and fixed his mistake.

Old 05-22-03, 02:03 PM
hyimted
Visiting Guest
hi all -

my first post at this great forum.

i also have a similar problem in one of my bathrooms.

i'm not sure what brand my faucet is...i'm pretty sure it's NOT a moen...i think it's a delta.

anyway, i already took it apart and it basically appears that there is the stock copper-colored piping. it joins in the middle to this silver looking thing (with a plastic thing in the middle) that is threaded into the copper piping.

i assume this silver thing is the cartridge you're referring to? and by flipping it 180 you mean literally unscrewing it and screwing it back in with what was once the front now as the back?

thanks!

ted