Question: Relief Valve I Purchased

Old 10-24-02, 09:46 AM
Mikey C
Visiting Guest
Question: Relief Valve I Purchased

I'm going to replace, I believe, a faulty Relief Valve on my Electric Water Heater. (water is dripping slightly from the extension drain pipe)
The one I purchased at Home Depot yesterday was a universal replacement Valve. It cost me $9.50. It has the same spec.'s as the current on my water heater with the exception that it's a much taller (longer) brass unit. The current one on my water heater sticks out about 2 inches out of the top of the heater and this new one looks like it will stick out about 4 inches. Is this "ok" ??? Also the new one I purchased has a coated post that will go into the heater and inch or two, is that typical ????
Please let me know...

Old 10-24-02, 09:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It will work .

Old 10-24-02, 10:18 AM
Mikey C
Visiting Guest
Thanks Plumber 2000....
The 3/4" fittings all seem to be the same, it's just that this new one is twice the size. As far as the coated post, I assume that's the sensor for the valve???
Also, I read other postings, the replacement of one of these valves is pretty simple. Right? I have a bit of corosion at the fitting going into the heater, so I guess I should spray a little WD-40 or something.
Other than that, shut off power & water, and release about 1/2 the tank. Then twist off the valve.....
Pipe dope up the new one and screw on.... Is that sound about right ?????
Thanks for any advise......

Old 10-24-02, 10:28 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes Yes and Yes

Old 10-24-02, 10:53 AM
Mikey C
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thanks You.....You da man !!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title: