Water Heater Anode Rod Replacement

Old 10-24-02, 02:51 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Water Heater Anode Rod Replacement

I have a Bradford White 50 gallon, electric, water heater. I want to replace the magnesium anode rod with an aluminum rod. The Bradford White website says this may eliminate the rotten-eggs odor created when the magnesium anode rod interacts with sulfur and bacteria in the tank and generates enough hydrogen to create an odor.

The anode rod and outlet pipe are a combined pipe, i.e., the anode rod is not a separate rod screwed into the top of the tank.

The question is how do I remove and install this combined pipe? There is only fitting threads visible above the top of the tank. I could use a pipe wrench to remove the mag rod; the damaged threads wouldn't be a problem since I could discard the rod. But, to install the new rod I'd need to put the wrench on the new threads. And that is a problem. Is there a unique tool or technique to use?
Old 10-24-02, 03:44 PM
Plumber2000's Avatar
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Eugene, Oregon
Posts: 5,838
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
A large pair of channel locks will do the trick.

Use teflon tape and pipe dope when you install the new one. Take as tight as you can get it with channel locks.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: