Hot Water heater valve draining

Old 10-28-02, 07:59 AM
CBM
Visiting Guest
Post Hot Water heater valve draining

My Hot Water heater in the last two days has been draining through the pipes to outside on its own for about an hour or so. It seems as though there is possible pressure build up so it drains. It seems it is draining quite a bit of water out, it is not dripping but pooring out like a faucet. I have never cleaned it or drained it on my own. If I do that should that fix it due to possible sediment build up? Please advise, thank you.

Old 10-28-02, 08:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Your Temperature-and-Pressure relief valve is what is draining.
This may just be a failure of the valve itself (happens), but it is more likely a bad thermostat allowing the heater to overheat, with the pressure going out thorugh the T&P valve.
Turn OFF the power to the water heater at the breaker on your electrical panel. You don't have to drain the tank to change tstats (I always change both, if I have to replace one).
Remove the side panels that cover the upper and lower tstats. Take a good look at the number and layout of the screws on each tstat, and go to the store and get two exactly like them (do not have to be same brand).
Exchange each wire ONE AT A TIME from the old to the new tstats exactly as they are wired now.
Close the T&P valve, and make sure that it isn't leaking. If it is, replace it, too. Use 2-3 flat wraps of teflon tape on the male threads of the new T&P valvbe before tightening it in.
You should rain sediment out of your water heater at least twice a year. To do that, just attach a hose to the bottom drain spigot, and let it run until it runs clear water.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: