sewer backup from basement floor drain

Old 10-28-02, 01:31 PM
lynniemitch
Visiting Guest
Angry sewer backup from basement floor drain

The last couple of times I have done laundry, I have seen a small backup of sewer waste and water on my basement floor. Is there a chemical agent I can use to try to clear the blockage? I would like to try to fix this myself if possible. Thanks.

Old 10-28-02, 01:40 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could try one of the enzyme based drain cleaners, like Liquid Plumber or Draino, but a better solution would be to use a 1/4" snake to clear the line. You will be going through the trap under the floor drain, so a snake much larger than 1/4" probably can't be pushed through. Is there a clean out near by? You could use a larger (and therefore longer) snake by going in there.

Old 10-28-02, 01:47 PM
lynniemitch
Visiting Guest
I believe there is a cleanout very close by. It is in the basement bathroom at the bottom of a wall. It is approximately 3" in diameter. If indeed this is the cleanout, what size snake should I use and how do I remove the cap? It looks pretty sealed on.
Thanks again.

Old 10-28-02, 10:06 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
a big wrench and a bigger hammer are used to remove the clean out cap. Since the blockage is coming out of the lowest drain in the house this may be a blockage in the main sewer line. If you run all the fixtures in the house for a period of time and then flush the toilet, does this floor drain back up? If so, no chemical is going to help, and you will need big equiptment at least a 11/16" cleaning cable with a blade on the end. You might want to call the roto rooter man at this point. If just the laundry line and the floor drain are affected then I would try putting the 1/4" cable down the waste outlet hole that the washer discharges into and/or the floor drain where the waste water is coming out of.

Old 10-29-02, 07:25 AM
J
Received 299 Votes on 256 Posts
If you call the roto rout guy be sure tell him if you put and chemicals down the drain. The blockage could keep the chemicals in the darin and if he is not aware they are there he could be burned.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: