plumbing

Old 10-30-02, 10:12 AM
scoopy
Visiting Guest
plumbing

In replacing the cast iron stack in the basement, the line starts with the toilet and vent, where in the rest of the line would you include a tub drain,kitchen drain, faucet drain, sump pump and at what angles to the stack to assemble them in?

Old 10-30-02, 11:30 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are you saying that you are thinking of adding four new fixtures to your existing system and you want to know where to tap into the old pipe? Is the toilet/vent above where you intend to tap in? Any fixtures below that point? Sounds like you need at least a 2" drain line coming in with a santee or wye fitting to the main stack. Be sure to replace any portion of the main cast iron stack that you take out with new cast iron. Plastic won't always hold the weight. How big of a sump pump, what discharge rate and what type of water will come through it? all drain lines need to have at least 1/4" per foot of slope to the main stack and all new fixtures will need their own vent connections.

Old 10-30-02, 12:36 PM
scoopy
Visiting Guest
Main stack

The main stack in my house comes in through the wall about half way up from outside. I'm getting some sewer back up into the sump hole in the floor. I'm not adding any new fixtures at this time and all of the ones I do have are within 5 ft. of them exiting the house. The drain coming from the sump is at a 90 degree angle to the main coming out the side. I would like to replace all cast with pvc and maybe add my fixture to the line at a 45 degree angle with the flow of the stack. Plus do I need to support the vent and how do I do that?

Old 10-30-02, 08:20 PM
L
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Now you are beginning to understand why it ain't legal to dump a sump pump into a sanitary drain sysyem!! Get the sump pump discharge off of the drain line.

Old 10-31-02, 11:01 AM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sorry, I'm having some problems understanding your terminology, some stuff is a little vauge. Grammar Please!

Does the main sewer come in or go out 1/2 up the wall? If so is the water coming out of the basement floor sewage or just earth water rising above the water table? Then you said that you were not adding any new fixtures, and two sentances after that you said that you are. Are you just adding the sump pump? There are special 2 piece clamps that you can put on the cast iron to hold the weight.

Lefty is right. you cant pump foundation water into the sewer system without special permission. You should run a separate drain line to a far corner of your property or out to the street.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: