Need a quick fix on PVC pipe

Old 10-30-02, 04:17 PM
SHARKEYMARINE
Visiting Guest
Question Need a quick fix on PVC pipe

Can a Black PVC plumbing elbow be repaired??? Are there any glues that would repair a leak? I am not sure if it is cracked or just leaking around the seam. This elbow is on a pipe joint right before it goes through the floor and up into a wall. I am trying to avoid taking out a kitchen cabinet and wall just to make this little repair. Any ideas????

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-02, 05:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sharkey,
Just FYI...black plastic is ABS, not PVC (white plastic). Both have to have their own different type of glues.
You may be able to seal the leak by just smearing a little ABS glue on the joint or crack.
If you can pull it apart, sandpaper it inside and out, and then ABS glue it. Ask for ABS glue at the store.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 10-30-02, 07:46 PM
L
Are you dealing with glued joints, or slip joints?? (Are the joints held together with nuts?) If it is a glued joint, you won't repair it. You will replace it. "This elbow is on a pipe joint right before it goes through the floor"... That sounds too much like an "S"trap. If there is anyway you can get into the wall and convert it to a "P" trap, you will be better off.

Old 10-31-02, 04:43 AM
SHARKEYMARINE
Visiting Guest
Yes, my mistake. It is ABS Black Pipe. How about JB Weld? That was another suggestion I was given. It is a glued joint coming off of a straight pipe onto a 45 right below floor level. No access to the pipe from above. If need be, I may consider removing some siding and gain access from the outside wall rather than remove the kitchen cabinets and counter top.

Is JB Weld actually the ABS glue???

Old 10-31-02, 07:07 AM
L
No. Use ABS cement. Comes in small cans that cost less than $3 which will more than enough for what you will be doing.

Old 10-31-02, 08:52 AM
If the glue alone does no good.

Go to a plumbing supply house and ask for a Rambit, looks like this.

http://www.lihottubs.com/images/RAMBIT.gif

These come in many sizes, get the size for the pipe your working with, this tool will remove the existing plastic pipe out of the hub, so you can reuse the fitting.

Last edited by Plumber2000; 10-31-02 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-01-02, 02:52 AM
SHARKEYMARINE
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I picked up the cement and will try applying tonight to see if it will do the trick....

Old 11-01-02, 05:03 PM
SHARKEYMARINE
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Thank you!!!

It was a success!!! Thank you all who replied. The cement worked just fine. I just kept applying thin coats until I built up enough thickness to fill the void.

Thanks again,

Sharkey