New Deeper Kitchen Sink - Drain/Vent Problem

Old 11-02-02, 08:08 AM
nuley
Visiting Guest
Unhappy New Deeper Kitchen Sink - Drain/Vent Problem

Hi,

I as about to install a new deeper kitchen sink when I ran into a major snag. I presently have a 5.5" two basin sink with a garbage disposal. I was looking to install a 9 " deep sink but realized to my surprise that after installing the deeper sink the drain pipe on the garbage disposal would actually drop down below the existing main DWV (Drain Waste Pipe) pipe that heads into the wall. Actually it will probably be at least 3 to 4 inches below. I'm not a plumber but I know that water doesn't flow uphill. What can I do about this? A shallower sink is not an option. The DWV must jog 90 degrees to the right after it enters the wall and then runs 24 inches to the before heading down into the basement. I wasn't anticipating this problem. What do I do? Call a plumber?

Old 11-02-02, 08:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

What type of drain pipe do you have?
Galvanized steel? Black plastic ABS? White plastic PVC?
Mike

Old 11-02-02, 12:27 PM
nuley
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by OldGuy
What type of drain pipe do you have?
Galvanized steel? Black plastic ABS? White plastic PVC?
Mike
Hi Mike,

The drain pipe is white plastic PVC.

Old 11-02-02, 03:33 PM
L
Where the drain from the sink and garbage disposal enter the wall there is a tee (inside the wall). The vent goes up, and the drain goes down. You will need to open up the wall and lower that tee 4" to 5". If the drain system (inside the wall) is plastic (ABS or PVC), it's not that difficult to deal with. If it is iron pipe, it will be a little more difficult to work with, but still very doable.

Old 11-02-02, 08:14 PM
nuley
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by lefty
Where the drain from the sink and garbage disposal enter the wall there is a tee (inside the wall). The vent goes up, and the drain goes down. You will need to open up the wall and lower that tee 4" to 5". If the drain system (inside the wall) is plastic (ABS or PVC), it's not that difficult to deal with. If it is iron pipe, it will be a little more difficult to work with, but still very doable.
Thanks Lefty, I'm on it!

Old 11-04-02, 11:16 AM
mark5
Visiting Guest
I did the same thing this weekend 11-3-02

I did the same thing but I have two sinks in one. The horizontal pipe running from my garbage disposal to the T in the main sink is even with the pipe coming out of the wall. The disposal is higher than the wall outlet. Will I have a backup problem in the horizontal tube?

Also, I have a leak in the joined schedule 40 pipes (I think I let the glue dry out too much). Should I use regular silicone caulking to fix this?

Old 11-05-02, 07:05 PM
L
Mark5,

When you say you have "two sinks in one", I am assuming that you have a double bowl sink. There are several ways to plumb the drains for these when a garbage disposal is installed in one side, but probably the most common is a horizontal tube from the garbage disposal over to a tee under the other side (The top of that tee is connected to the basket of the non-disposal side, the garbage disposal comes in the side of the tee, and the bottom goes to the trap.) I think you are talking about the horizontal pipe from the disposal to the tee being dead level. If that's the case, you are probably OK.

Then you mention the "leak in the joined schedule 40 pipes". From that, I gather you are talking about something downstream from the trap. I hope you didn't use schedule 40 ABS or PVC with glued joints for the ENTIRE drain system under the sink. From the sink basket and garbage dispoal all the way to the connection at the wall really should be all slip joints. (PVC, ABS, or brass -- your call, but slip joints.) In answer to your question about using silicone caulking to fix the leaks, no. Replace the leaking parts with new ones and don't allow the glue to set up before you slide the pipe in the fitting's hub.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: