Show Faucet Replacement

Old 11-03-02, 05:34 AM
Woodville
Visiting Guest
Show Faucet Replacement

I have a single-control faucet that I want to replace. Besides being broken, it's ugly and difficult to control water temperature. I purchased a replacement and after looking at it - my husband said he didn't see how it could be replaced. The "plumbling expert" at the local chain hardware/lumber store told him that he would either have to tear out the tile (I can't believe that) or go in through the back. There is no access from the back. Is this true? Can the faucet be replaced or am I stuck with it?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-02, 05:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, you will need to tear out part of the wall, somewhere, to replace the shower valve.

So now that you know this, is the old valve still that ugly, or would you want to rebuild it? Depending on type (you will have to tell us if it has something like Moen or Delta on it) you may be able to buy a new trim kit which will make it look brand new....

Old 11-03-02, 05:48 AM
Woodville
Visiting Guest
I'm sorry - but yes it's still that ugly. Not being able to replace it does not change it's ugliness. However, I believe it is a Delta - I will have to check (I'm in a different city right now) It is the acrylic ball that everyone seems to have one of. But you are saying that the replacements will have to be the same brand name. Perhaps I can change the style? Thank you for your prompt reply.

Old 11-03-02, 05:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

If you have a tile shower, it is best and much easier to go through the wall in the back to replace the faucet, especially if it is just sheetrock.
However, if that is "impossible" (against a brick exterior wall for instance), you can get faucet kits with large estucheon plates to cover the tile hole, rather than re-tiling.
Actually these faucets with the wide estucheon plates are made to replace double-handle shower faucets with single handle units, but it also would work for a tile-side faucet body replacement.
It would be far easier to get new parts, and just re-build the faucet from the shower side without going into any wall, as notuboo suggested, however. And that would correct operational problems like new, as well as improve the looks.
Your call.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 05-17-03, 09:10 AM
rroudebu
Visiting Guest
I have an add-on question to this thread. I'm in the same boat as the original poster. I have a basement bathroom with tile walls and had to replace the faucet. I couldn't go in from the back as the bathroom is against an outside wall.

I knocked out just enough tile to get the old faucet out and the new in - no problems there. I now have a big hole in the wall around the faucet. I purchased a "goof plate" at the local supply store, but it's only 8" wide and doesn't cover my 8 5/8" hole. The guy there said they don't make them any wider and I'd have to get something fabricated in stainless.

Any ideas?

Old 05-17-03, 04:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ideally, you would replace those tiles with new tiles of some accent color if you can't get an exact match... If that is not an option, just a regular piece of laminate that is used to make shower walls will work if you make sure to caulk it to the wall well to keep from having a water problem...