3 bolt Toilet tank problem

Old 11-07-02, 06:27 PM
SHines
Visiting Guest
3 bolt Toilet tank problem

I did some work on a toilet with 3 bolt holes in the tank. It is a Mansfield brand toilet. Although there are three bolts which pass through the tank, only two of those bolts attach to the toilet. Two days after doing the work, the tank split in half.

Before it split, I was doing work on the tank. When I took the tank off the toilet, I intended to replace the whole thing and did not pay attention as to how I disassembled the old parts of the toilet. Therefore, once I decided to reassemble the tank I could not figure out what the heck a certain piece was and how to put it back on properly. No doubt that is what caused the crack. Prior to cracking, the tank seemed to me to be in good shape structurally.

The piece is a bracket shaped like a fancy letter "V." There are two loops at the bottom of the V which fit over the two bolts that attach the tank to the toilet. Then, the rest of the V wraps around the third bolt. This bracket is placed on the bolts on the underside of the area where the tank and toilet attach. It is obviously some kind of stabilizing or leveling bracket, but I did not know how to put it back on. I either put it on wrong, overtightened it or probably did a combination of both. Can anyone give me any pointers on how to use this bracket? I have another tank I can use and I don't want to do something so stupid again. At first, I tried not to use the bracket, but the tank leaned way too far forward without it.

Thanks for any help.

Old 11-08-02, 03:58 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strange problem.

My first impulse is to say that you have a mismatched toilet tank and bowl. I don't believe I have ever seen a configuration like you are describing.

Secondly, are you sure that the replacement gasket is designed for this toilet? The "V" you are describing sounds like the one made for Kohler brand toilets and not the Mansfield.

It sounds like you have a big furball of a problem with this one. Since you have already cracked it might I suggest simply getting a different brand of toilet all together? You will probably save time and money in the long run. I hate Mansfield toilets anyway. They have a track record of being poor flushers. I like the American Standard Cadet line.

...Of course I could be wrong, this is all based on a written description instead of seeing it.

Old 11-10-02, 09:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have installed many, many, many toilets in my day... and I have never, ever, ever seen a tank with a different number of holes than the bowl,... In fact, i am going out on a limb here by saying, it just DOESNT happen.... the tank you have with the v-shaped washer does indeed sound like a kohler washer and the matching kohler bowl will have 3 holes also... I can see where having a mismatched bowl and tank would cause one to split, but yes you probably over tightened just a touch as well...

Tanks and bowls come in a set and cannot be mixed and matched for the most part... It sounds like what you meant to do was replace the whole toilet originally and when you got the tank off you decided to try to put the new tank with the old bowl and it just didnt work... Even a new Mansfield will not match the old style mansfield... Get a new well matched tank and bowl and start over... and for the record, if in fact that was a kohler tank, get rid of it... It is the single hardest toilet in the universe to install without a leak... The cute little v-shaped washer simply does not work the way it is designed to work and still causes me flashbacks and nightmares on a daily basis...

Old 11-11-02, 03:19 PM
P
Hear, hear! I agree on those kohlers. I think they look nice and flush OK but what a pain to put together.

Old 11-12-02, 10:01 AM
SHines
Visiting Guest
I am the original poster on this topic. When I first started working on the tank, I didn't even realize that there were more bolts than holes to put them through. It was only when I started to reassemble everything that I noticed it. I also thought it was the weirdest thing I had seen in a while. Luckily, I decided to just replace the whole toilet and not fool with struggling to make the old tank work out.

I went out and bought a complete new toilet and installed it without too much trouble. It was a Kohler so I am a little bit worried about leaks after reading your posts.

Anyway, I think things are better with just buying the new toilet.

Thanks for your posts to this topic.

Shawn

Old 11-12-02, 10:40 AM
Dont get me wrong, I LIKE Kohler as a brand, they flush good and relatively quietly... They generally are dependable and in my opinion they have better ballcock valves than most from day one... The specific problem I had with them is that they changed the tank washer into a triangular shaped washwer that is integrated with the tank bolt bushings/washers... The problem is that if you dont take great pains to hold the tank down in position VERY tightly, then the bolts just push the bushings right back through the tank holes and they end up expanding UNDER the tank instead of IN the tank... This will cause leaks without fail... If you took pains to make sure that this didnt happen and it isn't leaking, then you should be just fine... Look down in the tank and you should see black washer material around the head of each bolt... If you do, then you should be fine...

Old 11-12-02, 08:28 PM
mozeydozey
Visiting Guest
I just have to put my two cents in. I recently replaced an old Mansfield with the Kohler Memoirs elongated two-piece toilet. I absolutly love it. As for me, this was my first time installing a toilet. Just take your time and read the instructions. Anyway, the point I must make is that you should NEVER use those drop-in cleaner tabs. They will destroy the rubber seal where the two pieces join. I learned the hard way. Kohler will not honor the warranty if you use them. I intend to keep this fixture for a long time.

Take care, brush your hair.

Old 11-12-02, 09:21 PM
L
SHines, don't lay awake at nite worrying about your Kohler leaking. If you put it together right, that is not going to happen. Paulypfunk says they can be a pain to put together, and OK, I might give him that. But then too, that just could be the case of a Chevy mechanic saying Fords are hard to work on, and Dodges are a nitemare! (Or visa versa). I have both a Kohler and an Am. Std. in my house, neither have ever leaked, and neither were difficult to put together.

Old 11-13-02, 08:11 PM
Let me clarify this one last time... I LOVE KOHLER as a brand... It is one specific washer on the Kohler Wellworth toilets that is POORLY designed... they are just bad... You have to have a very large person sit on the tank with all the dead weight they can muster just to hold the darn thing in place as you tighten the tank down or it will not tighten down right... It was a poor design from day one and I hate installing them... Otherwise, they have much better inner workings than most, better quality control than most, they flush great and will last a long, long time... I am more like a Chevy fan who happened to not like one year model of the Chevette that came out...

If it ain't leakin, it is FINE, and don't worry at all... and as for the cleaning tablets, you are 100% correct... The chlorine in the water is already bad enough to eventually wear out most types of washers in both the flapper and the ball-**** valve, but the chlorine tablets just make the problem that much worse... NOT A GOOD IDEA... beyond that, they eventually turn into a sludge that washes down into the flush rim and clogs up the holes that help the water start it's spiral toward oblivion... If they get bad enough, the commode will just barely flush and will constantly look like it is backing up when it really isnt...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: