shower valve replacement

Old 11-09-02, 06:08 PM
w.davis
Visiting Guest
shower valve replacement

Can anyone tell me what tool to use to remove shower valves when there is a crome collar around the stem and none of my sockets will fit into the crome collar and get to the bottom of the stem.

Old 11-09-02, 06:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 52 Posts
The chrome collar should come off; try rotating it counterclockwise.

Old 11-09-02, 06:59 PM
w.davis
Visiting Guest
I have turned the collar for about 15 revolutions and still does not come off.

Old 11-09-02, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 52 Posts
Has to come off one way or the other; those trim pieces are installed AFTER the tile (or whatever). Hopefully we'll get a plumber along to enlighten us.

Old 11-09-02, 07:15 PM
w.davis
Visiting Guest
It looks as if the collars were put on befor the tile was installed.

Old 11-09-02, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Those chrome sleaves are a very fine thread. They will unscrew. You can then get right onto the actual stems.
Sounds like a Gerber faucet.

Old 11-09-02, 07:35 PM
w.davis
Visiting Guest
I went back and twisted on it some more but no luck.I could get a 13/16 long socket in and was able to pull out a piece, but I believe it just keeps the stem in tight. I still do not know what the valve size and when I tried a 7/8" socket it was just to thick to go into the crome sleeve.Is there a special type of wrench that would fit ?Thank you for your time and info.

Last edited by w.davis; 11-09-02 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-10-02, 08:58 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Yes, there is a set of valve sockets made for the purpose.
Borrow or buy (about $10-$30, depending) a set, and find the one that will fit your valves.
Here is what they look like:

Good Luck!
Mike

Old 11-10-02, 07:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As always, Old Guy is right, but you will eventually want to get that trim off, it either threads on which you seem to have thouroughly tested, or it simply pulls out... As to the first piece you took off, it DOES hold the stem tight, but it's primary function is to keep water from leaking around the stem each time you turn it on or off... It is called a packing nut... It is important that you put this nut back in snugly... and it should NOT be tightened with the valve in the OFF position... leave the stem about halfway on and then snug it up... Do not over tighten it or it can make the handle nearly impossible to turn... As to the set of sockets you buy, the cheaper sets for around $10 or so are sufficient since it will likely be a one time job... Also it is not easy to find a standard socket in your Snap-on box to do the trick, as the sizes are in 32nd's... (i.e., 27/32 and 29/32) and they are very thin walled relative to standard sockets...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: