outdoor faucet repair/replacement

Old 11-11-02, 01:03 PM
coachuckb
Visiting Guest
outdoor faucet repair/replacement

Real ignorant on this-I have an outdoor faucet that is leaking. I can shut off the water, remove the faucet (appears to be a long stem valve) to a certain length out, then it won't come out any further. Is it possible to get the whole assembly out to be replaced? This is an assembly that is the faucet handle, with what appears to be an O-ring just inside the nut, with a long metal stem into the house. Is this something I should be able to pull all the way out, take to a hardware store and get a replacement?

Old 11-11-02, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does it look like this one?

http://www.atozplumbing.com/35f06570.jpg

This will remove, with steady pulling on it, it will come out of the wall area, then get one the same lenght and install it.

You really need to remove the entire hose bibb and replace it.

Now this is for replacing stem and all, not just the stem.

Old 11-11-02, 02:16 PM
coachuckb
Visiting Guest
http://www.atozplumbing.com/35f06570.jpg

It doesnt look quite like that one. The faucet head itself is not part of the assembly. Looks like an iron faucet unit, where the assembly unscrews out of it, with the head fixed to the house walll. The end inside the pipe must have a washer or ball washer of some kind on the end. I didn't want to yank it out, for fear of ruining it and not being able to replace it. But it seems like it has to be able to come out of the unit!

Old 11-11-02, 02:18 PM
coachuckb
Visiting Guest
One other thing:

Plumber2000, I assume that its best to replace the whole stem unit, to have a repair that lasts the longest. But how does the washer keep from being damaged in pushing it back into the pipe? I assume this is built this way so the flow of water is controlled inside the house, behind an insulating wall, right?

Old 11-11-02, 02:33 PM
The stem is long right?

This tell me it's a frost proof hose bibb, there are different brands and lenghts of these hose bib

Try to unscrew the entire faucet, the stem probably has a swelled washer on the end of the stem, this making it hard the pull stem all the way out. If you can get the stem all the way out then maybe just replacing the washer will fix the leak.

You need to see if the hose bibb will beable to unsrew out of the wall.

Old 11-11-02, 02:38 PM
coachuckb
Visiting Guest
stem

Plumber2000, yes, I can get it unscrewed. It is a thinner stem than is shown in the example pic you had. Being here in northern indiana, it has to be impervious to freezing temps. I think I will give it another try.

Old 11-11-02, 08:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The picture he linked you to was the picture of the WHOLE body of the faucet which houses the stem you are trying to get out... and you do seem to be working on an anti frost sill ****... unfortunately, not all of them are very easy to get out once the washer is worn or damaged, and the washers are usually not standard... and the stem will be very hard to match... His original suggestion of taking out the whole assembly would be the best route if you have access to the back of it... It is likely soldered on underneath the house, but you can remake the joint with a compression connection if you don't feel comfortable soldering it back on...

Old 11-12-02, 09:07 AM
coachuckb
Visiting Guest
faucet stem

Ragnar, Plumber2000, I will probably give it a try this Sat. I work past dark most days... Thanks and will let you know...

Old 11-12-02, 09:53 AM
Lightbulb

Gentlemen, thought this might help. A link to Woodford mfg, the picture plumber2000 posted looks like a Woodford faucet. the exploded views might be some help.. good luck

http://www.wcmind.com/Woodford/WFDIndex.htm

Old 11-12-02, 10:12 AM
coachuckb
Visiting Guest
stem faucet

Excellent-a model 27 looks (almost) identical to what I have...

http://www.wcmind.com/Woodford/Wall%...es/model27.htm

I can remove the nut holding the faucet handle and stem in place, but then the washer on the end doesn't come out through the opening... now looking at this one, it looks like I have to replace the whole thing-including the entire outer brass unit. The handle is actually a rigid plastic, not metal, but it performs as described-it will drain even with the hose in place. I noticed the 2 bolts or screws that secure the outer fitting to the house appear very rusted, and I couldn't tell, even with my bifocals, whether they were a hex head or what...

As I look at the repair kit for this stem unit, I cannot see how on my unit the parts that are marked 1-7 can be removed from the long stem. They can't be unscrewed, I tried that... Unless I have to remove the handle first, and then perhaps their is a stem screw that I could then get to. But even if I remove that, I still need to get the washer or "plunger assembly" out of the pipe to replace, as I assume that is the part that is worn and allowing the leak (in addition to some gasket or washer that is on the outside end).

I guess it looks like I need to pull this stem out anyway to get that washer or "plunger assembly" out.

Old 11-12-02, 11:02 AM
I would now worry about the stem and just replace the entire faucet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: