Water Supply System for Toilet

Old 11-12-02, 10:11 AM
Lobo Perdido
Visiting Guest
Question Water Supply System for Toilet

I'm trying to replace the water supply system on our toilet. It appears that the valve that is on there now is not threaded where it connects to the copper piping from outside, so I guess it is either welded or simply pressed into place. Are these type of valves typically welded on? How do I remove the old valve (whether welded or not)? Can I put a new valve on without welding it in place? Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-12-02, 10:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

If you can see any gray solder on the pipe where the shut-off valve is connected to the pipe, it is soldered.
If you have at least an inch of pipe behiind this, you can hacksaw off the old valve, and install a new 1/2" compression fitting valve without soldering.
Good luck!
Mike

Old 11-12-02, 10:34 AM
Lobo Perdido
Visiting Guest
No solder visible

Thanks for your fast response! I don't see any solder at all at the connection. If I understand your response, this must mean that the old valve was attached without soldering. Is there a way to take it off without cutting? Can I tap or pull it off? I've tried turning the thing, but that doesn't seem to have much effect. Thanks again.

Old 11-12-02, 10:48 AM
They dont make a valve that just pushes on... It is either soldered, or is a compression stop... (if we are talking about copper tubing that is).... If you dont see solder, then there should be a large nut on the back of the shutoff that is tightened onto the shutoff valve and this nut can be taken loose... If neither of these is the case, then more info might be needed...

Old 11-12-02, 10:53 AM
Cool

Unless the shut-off valve is badly corroded or leaking, you really shouldn't need to replace it.
If you do, turn OFF the water first, of course.
If it is a compression fitting valve, you will see a nut that the pipe fits through that is screwed onto the valve.
Hold the valve with a wrench, and unscrew the nut counter-clockwise off the valve with another wrench. After it is loose, you should see a ferrule, or brass ring, around the pipe that seals the nut to the valve.
These ferrules usually get compressed to the pipe, and if the nut is in good shape, I usually use the old nut and ferrule with the new valve, although they come with their own.
Good Luck!
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: