no water in bathroom sink

Old 11-12-02, 01:44 PM
sleepyfrog22
Visiting Guest
Question no water in bathroom sink

The water in my bathroom sink suddenly stopped working. The water in the toilet and tub works fine. What causes this to happen and how do I fix it? PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Old 11-12-02, 02:00 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Check the shut off valves under the sink first and make sure they are both on. Next, remove the aerator and clean it. While it is off, try running the water. If you have no water with the aerator off, the next place to look is at the valve or valves themselves.

Post back if the first two suggestions get you nowhere, and tell us about the faucet. Single handle or two handle? Brand?

Old 11-12-02, 02:30 PM
sleepyfrog22
Visiting Guest
The water is on and it still does not work without the aerator..The faucet is new. It is a single handle aqua source.

Old 11-12-02, 02:56 PM
L
One of two things -- either the water is not getting to the faucet, or it's not getting through it. Let's find out which.

Turn off the water at the shut off valves. Remove the supply lines from the nipples on the faucet. Aim each supply line (one at a time) into a small bucket or a bowl and open that shut off valve a little to see if you are getting water to the faucet. (Try not to make TOO much of a mess!) If you are getting water out of the supply lines, the blockage is in the cartridge of the faucet.

Aqua Source -- where did you get it? Home Depot? Lowes? If so, take the faucet back and get a new one.

Now you are beginning to understand why pros stick to brands like Moen, Elger, Delta, etc. Might pay a little more for the faucet, but never have problems like this!

Old 11-12-02, 04:23 PM
sleepyfrog22
Visiting Guest
Okay, i'm getting water from the supply lines. I only made a little mess. I have no clue where the faucet came from. I live in an apartment and my landlord installed the faucet a few months ago. Two weeks ago it stopped working and he is taking his sweet time fixing it. Figured I would have a go at it. Thanks for your help. I appreciate it greatly!

Old 11-12-02, 06:00 PM
L
Oh, the landlord just can't believe that the $30 faucet that he just replaced quit working. NOW I understand.

I don't know if you can find parts to fix an Aqua Stream faucet or not. My guess is they use a cartridge. It probably came from a home center like HD, Menards, or Lowes (Which one is nearby?)

It's either going to be you or the landlord who takes care of doing the repair, and it's the landlord's responsibility. But if you want to do it, take the cartridge out of the faucet and go find a replacement for it. (Good luck there!)

Old 11-12-02, 09:34 PM
sleepyfrog22
Visiting Guest
We have an HP and a Lowes.
If all else fails I may just buy a worth while faucet and replace the whole thing. Although it might be easier to just move!!! At least I can say that I learned something new today. Thanks for all your help and wish me tons of luck. I'm going to need it!!!

Old 11-13-02, 05:59 AM
B
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I would be careful about replacing or repairing the faucet yourself. If something goes wrong, causing a problem, sure as heck your landlord will say it's YOUR fault. Besides, why should you pay for something he should be taking care of?

It's guys like him that give us landlords a bad name! I would call the local Tenant's Union (if you have one) and see if you can call a plumber out to replace it and deduct it from your rent. Most states have laws governing this type of action. If not, start calling him daily. It's his responsibility to do repairs; do you suppose he would call you if you didn't live up to your responsibility to pay rent on time?

You might want to pass on to him what lefty said about buying good name brand products. I always buy Moen; this is an excellent example of why.

Bruce

Old 11-17-02, 07:29 PM
sleepyfrog22
Visiting Guest
YIPEEE!!! I bugged and bugged and he finally fixed it!!! I got stuck with the same cheap faucet, but at least I can brush my teeth in the bathroom again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: