Not getting a full flush

Old 11-12-02, 06:05 PM
lomull
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Not getting a full flush

Can anyone please help! I just replaced the handle, flapper, and float inside my toilet, everything except the valve. I am not getting a full flush. You have to hold the handle down in order for the toilet to flush completely, otherwise the flapper just drops down to cover the opening. The repair was necessary because it wasn't flushing completly without holding down the handle. This is not a water saver system. I used to be able to flush once and it made a complete flush. I used to love my toilet! It wasn't like my mom's, a water saver where you had to hold the handle down all the time. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Lori

Old 11-12-02, 06:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Make sure you don't have too much slack in the chain from the flush handle to the flapper.

Also the flapper, if you see ears on the side where the flapper connects to, you must cut off the back center part of the flapper and hook the flapper onto the ears of the flush valve only.

Old 11-12-02, 07:26 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
just a thought...

This may seem silly, but it happened to me, so it may have happened to you. Do you use one of those cholorine pucks that you drop in the toilet tank? I you do, one may have gotten passed the flapper and be blocking the hole at the bottom of the bowl (I'm sure there's a name for it, but the one that puts out that last jet of water pushing stuff out of the bowl).

After replacing a leaky flapper, my toilet wouldn't flush fully, and after spending time trying to adjust the flapper, chain, and water level to fix the problem, I noticed that when I flushed something white (the chlorine puck) was partially blocking that hole, keeping stuff from being force out of the bowl by that jet of water. I took a coathanger and poked at it until it broke up into small enough pieces to get flushed (no pun intended) out into the bowl. I'm sure it's a one-in-a-million thing, but hey, thought I'd share my experience. I understand that very heavy mineral deposit buildups due to hard water can do the same thing, but I can't say I have experience with that.

Is it possible that your flapper always closed at this point during the flush cycle, but you're only now noticing it because you have a problem? Just a thought. I just remember how frustrating it was to be fixated on the supposed source of my problem, only to find out it was something else entirely.

Good Luck

Matt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: