Flapper will not fall

Old 11-13-02, 08:45 PM
Slosh1014
Visiting Guest
Angry Flapper will not fall

I have a problem where my flapper will not fall back down after a flush. This causes the toilet to run unless I jiggle the handle a few times to cause it to fall. The chain is at a length where shortening it will cause it not to fall all of the way. How do I correct this?

Old 11-13-02, 08:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is preventing it from going back down? I mean if you look inside when you flush it, does it appear that the chain is hanging up, or does the flapper fall crooked, or does it lean back so far that it never actually fall back in the correct direction to close?

Clarify please?

Old 12-12-02, 09:55 AM
drhfffrrr
Visiting Guest
I have the same problem. I think the flap does go too far back that it requires jiggling of the handle for it to fall back.
I don't want to do this all the time, so is there a solution?
thanks

Old 12-12-02, 11:56 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Replace the flapper, if it isn't a chain hang-up.
Clean the flapper seat with steel wool or SOS pad. Shorten the chain to where it just allows the flapper to seal fully.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 12-12-02, 01:06 PM
T
one other thing...

I had a similar problem a number of years ago, but the reason the flapper would not fall was because the flush handle and arm that connects to the chain would catch and stop short, jiggling the handle would free it, but the weight of the flapper falling was not enough to get the handle/arm to fall after the initial flush. I replaced the handle/arm for only a few bucks (if I remember correctly) and it seemed to do the trick. I knew nothing about toilets/plumbing at the time, but it was still a snap.

If the flapper begins to fall and then stops short, this might be a solution for you.

Good luck!

Matt

Old 12-16-02, 07:48 AM
pvanhouten
Visiting Guest
I've had the stuck-flapper problem a couple of times. The flapper is attached to the drain pipe in the tank with a snap-on C-shaped device. The snap-on parts were too tight against the sides of the pipe. Try slathering on some kind of thick lubricant that will stay (I used Vaseline).

Old 12-16-02, 06:24 PM
P
If your water pressure is way too high then it may shoot water into the bottom of the tank so fast that the flapper cannot reseat itself. Try partially closing the angle stop to the toilet if this is your problem. Then get your pressure checked < 80 PSI = bad!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: