Bathroom sink drain pipe broken...help!

Old 11-16-02, 04:07 PM
DiamondDave
Visiting Guest
Bathroom sink drain pipe broken...help!

Hey all,

I just removed an old bathroom sink, and all went well until my first turn of the wrench on the connector holding the j-pipe / p-trap pipe to the drain pipe, when the pipe just shredded.

I now have a drainpipe sticking out of the wall that ends in a jagged broken end, just at the point where it used to curve down to join the old j-pipe.

What should I do now? Call a plumber, or is there an easy way to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Old 11-16-02, 05:28 PM
Specter
Visiting Guest
I had one break at my son's house and we fixed it with a compression type fitting. Cut the end off square, slide the nut & washer over the old pipe and install the new trap & tail piece. It takes a little extra room to fit it in but it's better than tearing out the wall.

Old 11-16-02, 06:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

You also could use a Fernco coupling, which is just a neoprene rubber sleeve with two stainless steel hose clamps. They come in all sizes, including reducer sizes.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 11-17-02, 12:32 PM
DiamondDave
Visiting Guest
Hey, thanks Mike - I was wondering if something like that would be a possibility, and now that I have a name to work with, I can pick one up at Loewe's or Home Despot.
Definitely easier for me than trying anything with solder and pipe fittings...

Dave

Old 11-17-02, 03:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
And for the record, the FERNCO couplings are even approved by code in most places (verify in your own locale if you care to)... and it is much preferable to soldering near the wall or cutting out the wall to replace the arm...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: