Bathroom sink drain pipe!


Old 11-16-02, 04:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Bathroom sink drain pipe!

Hey all,

I just removed an old bathroom sink, and all went well until my first turn of the wrench on the connector holding the j-pipe / p-trap pipe to the drain pipe, when the pipe just shredded.

I now have a drainpipe sticking out of the wall that ends in a jagged broken end, just at the point where it used to curve down to join the old j-pipe.

What should I do now? Call a plumber, or is there an easy way to fix this?

Thanks in advance,

Old 11-16-02, 05:28 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I had one break at my son's house and we fixed it with a compression type fitting. Cut the end off square, slide the nut & washer over the old pipe and install the new trap & tail piece. It takes a little extra room to fit it in but it's better than tearing out the wall.
Old 11-16-02, 06:22 PM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,948
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

You also could use a Fernco coupling, which is just a neoprene rubber sleeve with two stainless steel hose clamps. They come in all sizes, including reducer sizes.
Good Luck!
Old 11-17-02, 12:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Hey, thanks Mike - I was wondering if something like that would be a possibility, and now that I have a name to work with, I can pick one up at Loewe's or Home Despot.
Definitely easier for me than trying anything with solder and pipe fittings...

Old 11-17-02, 03:42 PM
Ragnar's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 1,349
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
And for the record, the FERNCO couplings are even approved by code in most places (verify in your own locale if you care to)... and it is much preferable to soldering near the wall or cutting out the wall to replace the arm...

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: