Kitchen Sink won't drain at all

Old 11-16-02, 09:58 PM
Surfersabo
Visiting Guest
Kitchen Sink won't drain at all

The disposer isn't the problem. I snaked from the trap down 30 feet or so and found no clogs. It has been rainy, and the leaves are falling. Could I have a clogged vent on top of the house?

Old 11-16-02, 10:45 PM
Surfersabo
Visiting Guest
more info

Another thing that might help. The sink is about half full and doesn't drain. With the disposer on, the water drops to about a quarter full sink. When I turn it off, the water comes rushing back, up through the drain and back into the sink. I removed the trap and snaked the drain line, and ran water through the disposer with the trap off into a bucket. I am officially stumped. Can anybody help?

Old 11-16-02, 11:00 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Let me see if I am following you. When you took the trap off and ran water through the disposal into a bucket, this means the water is no longer standing in the sink, right? Is the trap clean? Is there a tee someplace in the drain line under the sink? Is that clean?

The problem is a clog in the drain line, not a clogged vent. You snaked down 30'. Is there a cleanout or another drain in this line that will allow you to snake farther?

Old 11-16-02, 11:09 PM
Surfersabo
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the help lefty.

Yeah, I emptied the sink by bailing as much as I could into a bucket and removing the trap. Of course, I filled it up again when testing to see if I had been successful. I will look for a cleanout. They are usually in the walls though aren't they? Sorry, I don't know that much. None of the other drains have problems. Is this odd. I will also look for a tee. The trap was clear. No other drains have a problem. This means it is before the main, right?

Old 11-16-02, 11:43 PM
L
Since none of the other drains seem to have a problem, the clog is probably someplace in the kitchen sink line before it goes into the mainline.

If the house is on a slab, the cleanouts will be in the walls, probably on the outside of the house. They will be exposed (through the siding) so you can see and access them. If the house is on a raised wood floor, you may also find cleanouts under the house.

Old 11-17-02, 11:07 AM
Surfersabo
Visiting Guest
Talking Mission Accomplished!!

Thank you sir! (I guess you might be a girl, but most girls don't go by lefty)

Your replies gave me the confidence to snake and resnake until the clog was all the way down. (Three tries total) The sink gave up a belch as a sign of defeat and now it works like a dream. Many thanks!

Surfersabo

Old 11-17-02, 11:45 AM
L
I'm a guy.

Glad to help.

Also glad to hear the clog realized it was in a losing battle and went rather peacefully.

Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: