toilet won't flush properly

Old 11-17-02, 10:13 PM
cherokeepeddler
Visiting Guest
toilet won't flush properly

My mother's toilet was leaking. We removed the toilet, replaced the flange, installed a new wax gasket, and screwed everything back into place. The leaking problem was corrected, but now the water does not empty from the bowl fast enough when you flush the toilet.

At the advice of another, we took the whole thing apart, checked the wax seal, ran a toilet snake through the entire commode to check for some errant wad of whatever that might have gotten stuck in the boozybend (there wasn't anything), put everything back together, and it still doesn't flush sufficiently enough to dispose of waste. In fact, the bowl fills up to the point of nearly running over because the water isn't flushing down fast enough.

We've tried pouring water into the bowl to prime it. Nothing works. The other drains in the bathroom flow just fine.

Could this be due to some unseeable crack somewhere in the inner chambers of the commode - possible reducing the vacuum pressure or whatever law of physics that controls toilets?

Do we need to buy a new toilet? HELP!!!!!!

Old 11-17-02, 10:56 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You have a clog. Try the toilet auger again and see it that will clear it. If not, pull the toilet and use a 1/2" snake down the waste arm.

Old 11-18-02, 11:22 PM
cherokeepeddler
Visiting Guest
sluggish toilet

Thanks Lefty,
Unfortunately, you are right. It is just strange or coincidental that this occured after we fixed the leaking problem. My grandmother always said, "One job always leads to another." This one just won't end. We may have to call a plumber if we can't get the clog to pass. It's probably a giant hairball the size of a goat. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
Cindy

Old 11-18-02, 11:45 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your toilet was leaking and you removed it to fix the leak by replacing the wax ring. That tells me the problem was a clogged line, and you were seeing the leak at the base of the toilet due to the line being clogged BEFORE you fixed the leak. The clog could be caused by something that was flushed down the toilet, by build-up in the main line from just about any source, or tree roots in the yard. Could be anyplace from the toilet to the septic tank or the street, depending on whether you are on septic or sewer.

Your choices are to rent a snake and clean it yourself, or to call a plumber or drain cleaning service to do it for you. At least around here, one is about the same price as the other, but the plumber or drain cleaning service will guarantee their work for 30 days. Renting the snake comes with no such guarantee.

Old 11-19-02, 06:45 PM
cherokeepeddler
Visiting Guest
toilet clog

Lefty,
Just wanted you to know that we were able to dislodge the clog ourselves. My husband bought some kind of serious drain opener from an old-time independent hardware store. We let the stuff simmer in the drain for a couple of hours, then flushed with cold water. Not much improvement at that point. Then we put the water hose (to the toilet) down in the hole, stuffed the hole with a towel wrapped in a plastic bag, and while my husband stood on it, we turned the water on full force. It took several minutes, but it finally flushed through! Thank God!

You're absolutely right about what actually happened. Thanks for explaining it all - now I can see that the clog was the whole problem in the first place.

Thanks to you and all of this "hands-on" experience, I now know more about toilets than I ever wanted to. My husband is recovering from surgery, so I had to do most of the work - I even stuck my arm down the darn sewer pipe and pulled stuff out with my hand - (I still cannot believe that I did that.)

Anyway, my hat's off to all you plumbers - you deserve every thing you charge!

Appreciatively,
Cindy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: