Electric hot water heater overheating

Closed Thread

Old 11-18-02, 10:36 AM
nz901
Visiting Guest
Electric hot water heater overheating

I have an electric HW Heater, about 10 years old. It is overheating and then shutting off. I'll get about a tankful of extremely hot water, and then the heater shuts itself off. I can hit the reset button and it comes back on. I've done this about once a year for the past 5 or 6 years and it usually settles back down into the normal routine. This year, it seems to be a little stubborn, and I've reset it twice in the last two days and it's running hot again.

Is there something else I can do? Would a build up of sediment start this cycle?

Old 11-18-02, 10:49 AM
fesjr
Visiting Guest
Sounds like you have a bad thermastat on the heater. You could replace it but since the water heater is 10 years old, I recomend just replacing the heater. Most water heaters last about 1 to 2 years beyond the warranty period.

Old 11-18-02, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up New heater

If you have gas in the house get a gas water heater.
It will save you $250.00 a year according to the yellow DOE stickers on the side.
At $250 per year the cost of running the gas line and vent pipe will quickly pay for itself.
Not to mention a basically endless supply of hot water.

Old 11-20-02, 12:56 PM
Replace the upper and lower thermostats on the water heater, no need to replace the tank until you have to.

I have seen water heaters last 15 and up to 20 years before needing to be replaced.

Old 11-20-02, 05:14 PM
L
Hmmm... $30 to replace 2 thermostats (one of which is bad), or $200 to replace a water heater that only needs $30 worh of thermostats. Sounds like a no brainer to me!!

Old 11-21-02, 08:21 AM
T
But a new water heater looks so much better....

Old 11-21-02, 06:33 PM
Lightbulb Switch to gas

I just got rid of a WORKING electric water heater due to the high operating costs.
According to the DOE an electric water heater costs $420.00 a year to operate while a gas costs $160.00 a year to operate.
Look at the yellow stickers on the water heaters for yourself.
About a $260.00 difference PER YEAR for a $200.00 upfront investment.
Try getting that kind of return in the stock market ...
This all of course assumes gas is avalible....
Fortunately the gas line and vent were already there because some moron (prevoius owner) took out the gas and installed an electric.

Old 11-22-02, 09:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I believe a new heater is in order... While it is true that spending $30 is better than spending $200, what you are trying to avoid is spending BOTH amounts, by replacing thermostats now and then having to replace the whole thing 6 months or so from now... And while it is true that some heaters last for 18 to 20 years, they had the decided advantage by definition of having been manufactured 18 to 20 years ago when things were made better... This guy has a 10 year old heater that has been acting up since it was 4 years old.... this isn't a good indicator that it will be a strong 18 to 20 year candidate... Replace the whole thing simply to save further headaches... If you simply can't afford the new heater, then go with the thermostats, but that would be the only reason I could give...

And on the subject of gas cost, I agree that gas operating cost is usually much cheaper but the "moron" that replaced gas with electric might have done that last year when the gas prices went up 300 dollars a month for some folks and they were having their gas turned off for non payment...

Last edited by Ragnar; 11-23-02 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-23-02, 08:50 AM
Lightbulb Actually

The "old" water heater was about 5 years old, possibly older.
I decided that it was getting close to it's time as part of desicion to to repalce the water heater.
The electric was a "builder grade" model with ONE heating element in the bottom instead of the normal 2.
Odd because I thought Bradford-White was supposed to be a high end water heater ...
Gas would have to be 3 times the cost it is now to make electric the cheaper option to use.
I belive since the house was a rental before I bought it the landlord got some kind of "deal" on the electric water heater when the gas one quit.
Heck, the landlord didn't have to pay the electric bill....

Old 11-23-02, 02:06 PM
Replacing a water heater thats 10 years old cause the stats don't work at the time is totally crazy, and to do this every 10 years, come on, and this is what you call saving money, I think not.

Cost the install a water heater DIY let say $200.00

So

$200 every ten years and you do this over the next 30 years, will run $600+ given inflation.

Now

Ten year water heater stats only about $30.00 or even less then this.

Lets run the numbers

30 years = $600

!0 years stats = $30

5 yaers later tank need replaced = $200

So far 15 years pass by and only spent $230.00

New heater 10 years need stats again = $30 if not less that that

Now let same the heater makes it to 18 year before it need replaced. = $200.00

Hummmm....... thats 33 years and 2 water heaters total cost $460.00 a savings of $140.00 to $160.00

Go figure.

Old 11-23-02, 03:30 PM
Cool Forgot to add

The $240.00 more per year the electric costs over 30 years

$7200.00 !!!!!

Switch it to gas, also the thermostats in gas water heaters hardly ever go bad, neither does the burner.

I personally have never seen a gas water heater fail that wasn't 10+ years old.

Of course you must have gas in the house to do this ....
It amazes me how many homes have gas heat in them but are using electric water heaters ...

Old 11-23-02, 05:19 PM
I do this every dam day, maybe one can't afford to install gas to the house,

Why fix something that is not broke, and maybe one can't afford to install a new heater every dam time the stats fail to operate.

Did the poster say he replaced the stats every year? NO

He said he has had to reset them every year, tells me he never replaced them in the past.

Diagnoise and solve the problem.

The water heater talked about here is not gas.

I guess we all should install a new faucet everytime it leaks, install a new drain line since it plugs up every year, a new disposal cause it jammed up, I could go on and on.

I have a gas water heater in my house and the savings is not that great,

This can of worms in now a closed subject.

Last edited by Plumber2000; 11-23-02 at 08:31 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: