Kitchen/Dishwasher drain completely blocked

Old 11-18-02, 05:32 PM
mattd32208
Visiting Guest
Kitchen/Dishwasher drain completely blocked

The kitchen/Dishwasher drain has to be unblocked about 1 time each year. This has been going on for about 5 years. About 3 years ago I had to cut a 3 foot section of orangeburg pipe out of the kithcen/dishwasher drain where it connects into the main line because it was completely packed full of this white looking paste.
The next year I had to dig up the back yard again and this time replace the section of orangeburg that joins the kithcen drain to the main drain because it to was now packed full of the same white paste. I noticed that when I disconnected the 3 foot section of pvc that I put in a year before was just as clean as it could be. But further up where it was spliced into the orange burg I noticed that the orangeburg pipe that I had cleaned out was beginning to fill back up with that white past again. It seems that the pvc is amune to the white paste. The reason I didn't replace the rest of that orangeburg is because it is going under the sidewalk. I think that the dishwasher is responsible for the white paste. Do you know of anyway I can stop this paste buildup from continuing? Please help.
Thanks in advance

Matt
Jacksonville, FL

P.S. I didn't mean to write a short-story I just didn't know any other way to expain the situation.

My e-mail address is dani9678@bellsouth.net

Old 11-18-02, 06:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well, I am afraid I dont know what orangeburg pipe is, i have never heard any drainage pipe called that so maybe you could fill me in... But anyway, the only time i have seen straight white paste in a drain, it was a large amounts of crystal drano that had been poor in over time in an attempt to clear the drain... this stuff hardens up like mortar if you dont get it washed through properly or if the drain stays sluggish... Otherwise, the dish washer and sink both creath a minimal amount of soap scum type stuff that can be white but usually is completely overridden by the black scum that come from the grease and food waste... If you are using powdered detergent in the dw, you might consider changing to gel, but I really just think you need a new sink line... by the way, it would be unusual if the SINK line went under the sidewalk as code says it should tie up inside the house... but whatever the case, the old pipe is corroded and grimed up and either needs to be rodded out COMPLETELY or replaced with more of the pvc...

And one of the reasons that the pvc is not showing all the buildup is that it simply is not as prone to the types of scale and corrosion that buildup in just about every other kind of pipe... it is the best thing to use for your case...

Old 11-18-02, 06:18 PM
You should have plled out as much Orangeburg as possible and then more....but you knew that...Has your Orangeburg flattened out yet? You know this is what's happening under the sidewalk.

My first thought about the white paste is grease. I have found this in bathroom lav drains that have gone down in size to a pencil. This was from the lanolin in liquid hand soap reacting with relative hard city water.
Does you white substance feel like grease or crystaline and hard?

Old 11-19-02, 05:33 PM
mattd32208
Visiting Guest
Yes the white paste does feel hard and greasy. Sense my last post I have pulled up what was left of the orangeburg where it joined at the cast iron pipe coming from under the kitchen and out under the sidewalk in our backyard. I had to tunnel half way under the sidewalk to get to the cast iron part of the pipe.

We use SoftSoap and Dial soap in the liquid form for washing our hands. We also use Cascade in the gel form for the dishwasher and most resently we have started using those Electrosal tablets for the dishwasher that they have been advertising on TV.

Do you know of anyway (short of having to stop using the dishwasher) to stop this white paste buildup from continuing?
Thanks

Matt

Old 11-19-02, 07:23 PM
P
Orangeberg pipe, for those who want to know is an obsolete type of pipe used in the 40's and 50's that looks like it is made up of multiple layers of tar paper. I don't know what the true composition is but they have a habit of coming out of round as they age. as mentioned above it it common for orangeberg to collapse in on itself with a heavy earth load above it.

My guess is grease on your drain line. Do you pour off grease down into the drain line? I would stop it if you are. Does your drain line have continous downhill slope? if the water has to run uphill at all then it would be a natural collection point for sediment and grease to sit. Are you sure that the drain line isn't plugged further downstream? If you have a big root ball growing into the system then that could account for the periodic backups.

True, complete removal of the old stuff is reccommended but under a sidewalk you say? Hmmmm, you could try periodically adding a digestive enzyme to the system, grease eating build up remover. I usually only reccommend it for commercial applications but you might see some benefit from it.

Old 11-19-02, 08:42 PM
I can remember helping my Dad put in an Orangeburg line back in the early 60's. And was we proud...

This pipe has a bad habit of starting to collapse, then someone snakes it out, but all this does is destroy it even more from the inside. It will then fully collapse on itself.

I would consider an emzyme product on a routine basis to help. You pick the brand as there are many to choose from.

Good luck with your drains...

Old 11-20-02, 09:50 PM
mattd32208
Visiting Guest
What are the best enzyme products to use? The only one that I have used in the past was RID-X and that was for the main septic tank.

Thanks for all of your help very much. It has been very helpful to me.

Matt
Jacksonville, FL

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: