Toilet tank loses water

Old 11-21-02, 02:35 PM
radams22
Visiting Guest
Angry Toilet tank loses water

After we flush the toilet the water level in the tank starts to drop (about 1/2" in five minutes). We replaced the flapper with no change (nothing appears to be wrong with the old one, which is only 2 years old anyway). We cannot see any other way water could be leaking out, and it doesn't appear to be going into the bowl either. I've dried the rim after flushing, and it remains dry while the water level in the tank continues to drop. What could be happening?

Old 11-21-02, 03:21 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
a start...

try adding a few drops of food coloring to the toilet tank water. See if the color shows up in the bowl. If it does, at least you know where the water is disappearing to. If it does or does not I can't really help you further since all I would suggest is replacing the flapper, but I'm sure some of these wiser gents could point you in the right direction. At the least you'll be able to tell if the water is in fact draining into the bowl despite appearances to the contrary.

One other thing. Did you feel that plastic piece ( I know it has a name, but darned if I know it) that the flapper fits inside to see if it's nice and smooth to form a tight seal. If it's rough it might not be forming a proper seal with the flapper and that's why your water's draining out.

good luck.

Matt

Old 11-21-02, 05:33 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I am sure you know this, but there are only 2 places that the water from the tank can go when it leaks down... either in the bowl or in the floor... As dry as it may be around the flood rim, it is still likely that the water is going into the bowl through the actual jet hole at the bottom of the bowl if it has one... the food coloring will usually narrow it down... if you have already replaced the flapper, then the flush valve that the flapper connects too is the culprit... this can be replaced by taking the tank off, but you will likely need tank bolts and washers to replace the old rusted ones...

Last edited by Ragnar; 11-26-02 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-26-02, 09:33 AM
radams22
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Problem solved

Thanks for the replies. After determining that no water was going into the bowl, I noticed that the tank was overfilling slightly because the float cup would stick for a while near the top of its range. That made me wonder if some type of siphon action could be pulling water back into the supply line. We replaced the fill mechanism with a new one that has an anti-siphon feature (we broke the old one while trying to adjust the water level), and the problem is solved!

By the way, I noticed that stores are still selling fill mechanisms without the leak detector feature. I don't know why. I certainly wouldn't buy one. You can waste an awful lot of water without knowing it if your toilet tank just keeps refilling itself!

Old 11-26-02, 03:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, I am glad the fill valve fixed your problem, but water can not siphon into the supply line... something else was going on... If the fill tube gets pushed down into the overflow tube too far, it can siphon water from the tank into the bowl, but it will still go into the bowl... you were losing water into the bowl one way or the other... the supply is under pressure, so it cant go back that way... probably it was going into the jet hole... as to the leak detector fill valves, the problem with them is that they prevent you from ever knowing that you have a leak in the tank... Normally if your flapper or flush valve or tank bolts develop a leak, then you will hear the fill valve kick on briefly alerting you that there is a problem that needs to be addressed... With the leak detector fill valve, you can lose water into the bowl or into the floor and wouldnt know it because the fill valve wont kick on...

Old 11-29-02, 11:32 AM
radams22
Visiting Guest
Toilet leak detector

Hi Ragnar. I see your point, but it requires someone to be alert and listening for the sound. When the tank does not refill at all, you know about the leak as soon as you try to flush and fail because there is not enough water in the tank. In our house that gets attention much faster. It's annoying, but that's the point. You can't ignore it very long!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: