low pressure in kitchen faucet

Old 11-23-02, 02:48 PM
low pressure in kitchen faucet

Kitchen faucet has very low water pressure with both hot and cold water. We dont see any problems with the faucet spout. Any help to solve this will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-02, 03:23 PM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
Boy! You're having a bad day aren"t you. Did you remove the aerator from the faucet? With is removed, turn the water on and see what kind of flow you have. If the flow is normal, blow the aerator out the re-install it.
Keep us posted.

Old 11-23-02, 03:38 PM

Tried that, did not work. I have a feeling there might be a block at the water mixer, but I am having difficult time getting the connector. We have a galcier bay foucet with one long spout.
Thanks a lot

Old 11-23-02, 03:50 PM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
Sorry, I can't help you with that brand of faucet. I haven't seen them up here in the frozen north. Dumb question: are there shut off velves under the sink and are they both turned on. Don't laugh, it happens.

Old 11-23-02, 04:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Well, do the other fixtures in the house have good volume? If the problem is confined to the kitchen sink, then it could be that the valves underneath are not all the way on, the flex supplies to each side could be partially kinked... the leads that come down from the faucet itself can be kinked from installation if it is a single handle valve... or the stem assembly of the faucet can have trash in it...

You DID try the water without the aerator though right? and has this faucet always been this way or did it just start?

Old 11-23-02, 06:31 PM
thanks for your replies. This problem started recently. Yes, we checked all the valves and connections, no problems. The only thing we did not check yet is the common point for both hot and cold water. We suspect trash in it, but the joint is not easily accessible.
A dumb question, is it alright to use drainex or baking soda and vinegar to clear the trash

Old 11-23-02, 06:46 PM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
I wouldn't try using chemicals on a faucet. Number one reason is damage to the internal parts of the faucet. Number two is: How would you get the chemicals to the possible clog. I suggest you find a dealer that sells this brand of faucet and have them explain how to take it apart and clean it out or replace parts as required. I have never seen a faucet that was not disassembled from above the countertop easily to make repairs. There must just be some simple but not easily seen means of doing this. Time to leave the kitchen faucet and replace the flush valve in your toilet that you asked about in your other thread.

Old 11-24-02, 12:28 AM
Since you took the aerator out and seem still seem to have no water pressure, and since both the hot and cold shut off valves are fully open, and since the supply lines are not kinked, and since all of the other faucets seem to work just fine, THEN I would take the faucet back to HD and get one with a name like Moen, Amer. Std., Delta, ...

Old 11-24-02, 05:10 PM
Bottom line is, you have trash in the faucet and it would be worth your while to figure out how to take the stem assembly out of it... turn both valves off, then turn the faucet on to verify the water is completely off, then you should be able to take off just about anything around the handle that would let you get to the trash in relative safety...

I would like to correct one earlier post though... When someone recommended to you NOT to use chemicals to try and unclog the faucet, they said "The number one reason is damage to internal parts of the faucet"... I think the number one reason should have read "damage to internal parts of anyone drinking from the faucet afterwards"... While drano would likely help clean out your colon, it would probably take some skin off your lips, the lining of your esophagus, a couple layers of your stomach and portions of your small and large intestine with it....

Old 11-25-02, 07:05 AM
Lew Falconer
Visiting Guest
An excellant point . Thanks for catching that one Ragnar.

Old 11-25-02, 06:58 PM
hehe np...