Shower Valve

Old 11-25-02, 01:15 PM
joekaufman
Visiting Guest
Question Shower Valve

I have bought a new house that is thirty years old and the Shower valve has a knob that turns the water on /off and another knob that regulates the amount of hot / cold water will come out of the shower head. Both knobs a built / fit inside of the other or it is one unit. I need to replace or repair the unit as I can not regulate the mix of hot / cold water. Will most any Shower valve work as an replacement? Are there things I should look out for as I try to fix this problem? I can not see a model name / number on the old shower valve. Will I need to sodier? I have found a shut off valve down at the hot water heater for both the hot & cold water. Can you offer some help? Thanks Joe Kaufman

Old 11-25-02, 03:39 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You should be able to get the parts to repair the valve you have. You'll need to shut off the water, remove the handles and remove the valve. Take it to a plumbing supply (probably won't find the parts needed at HD or Lowes) and have them set you up with a new cartridge.

If it happens that you can't get the right parts, then you need to replace the valve. If you have the type of valve I think you do, you can replace it with pretty much any valve. I would opt for a pressure compensated valve, since these are now required by code. These prevent people from getting scalded when they are taking a shower and somebody flushes the toilet.

Old 11-26-02, 08:10 AM
joekaufman
Visiting Guest
Shower Valve

Thanks Lefty. I will work on it tonight.
Joe K.

Old 11-26-02, 08:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Joe,
You should have only one valve at the water heater...for the cold water supply to the heater only, which will shut off the hot water only.
You probably need to cut off your water at a main valve or at the meter, or pump, if you're on a well.
Mike

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: